Windows 7 Need advice for windows 7 install

tmint

Hey all I have downloaded windows 7 pro from their site and I am using it unactivated at the moment,but I have decided I want to get windows 7 pro. Since I am eligible for the student program I am going to get window 7 pro that way.

Now I'm wondering once I pay the fee and able to get windows 7 and key , can I use that key to just activate the windows 7 I am using now so I dont have to reinstall, Im using windows 7 pro (clean install ) and getting the windows7 pro key thru the student program.I will also be paying the extra $ for them to send me the disc, is it worth it, will this work ? Thanks

Yes I have downloaded if from digital river and installed.I decided that I would like to acquire windows 7.
I then learned about the student deal for windows 7 and I'm going to purchase that for the key mainly.

Was just wondering if I could just simply use that key to activate this installation, which are both windows 7 pro.
And your right if I have to reinstall should be no big deal as long as It will let me upgrade.

Also need advice

Hello all. I also downloaded from Digital River the Windows 7 Pro and purchased the disc for backup as well. I tried to do a custom, clean install on my HP Pavillion tx 2513 cl from the download, but when I got to the step asking me to decide what partition to install on, I realized I had the original Vista recovery partition which would remain and essentially be useless. I couldn't delete or alter the partitions as the downloaded install did not have the driver requested by the Windows 7 installation needed to make changes. It instructed me to insert the installation disc to obtain the needed driver but I'm not in possession of the installation disc yet.

I was wondering if there was an easy work-around or should I just wait for the disc? If I should be in another area for this please inform as I don't want to "hijack" the original post. I am fairly new to all this technology and visit message boards occasionally but rarely post. Any help is appreciated.

If what you downloaded is ISO then just burn it to a DVD, if not get a utility to make that into a ISO .Imgburn can possibly do that for you, no guarantee that it will work , I am new to windows 7 aswell.

When you made your purchase with the option of the disc, did you still get the download link and serial # by email ?

If what you downloaded is ISO then just burn it to a DVD, if not get a utility to make that into a ISO .Imgburn can possibly do that for you, no guarantee that it will work , I am new to windows 7 aswell.

When you made your purchase with the option of the disc, did you still get the download link and serial # by email ?

You can't boot from the download files if you just write them to a disk.. but you can use the program Microsoft released to make the iso bootable. Their program is not as good as the one they ripped off... google Unetbootin.

Microsoft was forced to remove their tool from their website because they violated "Open Source Code" regulations.. but you can still get it here Link Removed - Invalid URL

They plan to write the code themselves and re-release it.

tmint--Unfortunately, the download did not provide an ISO image (as I was expecting) or I would have done as you recommended. It resulted in an .exe and two .box files (Windows Shell files??).

In the meantime, I requested assistance from Digital River who responded with a link allowing me to obtain an ISO image. As I read it, the ISO is for the 64-bit system (my system is currently 32-bit). I've not downloaded it yet as I'm checking to ensure my processor (AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70) will support 64-bit. From what I'm reading it appears it will. If anyone knows better please advise. Should I go 64-bit if my processor supports it? What should I be aware of if I choose to this route? Thanks for your assistance.

You can't boot from the download files if you just write them to a disk.. but you can use the program Microsoft released to make the iso bootable. Their program is not as good as the one they ripped off... google Unetbootin.

Microsoft was forced to remove their tool from their website because they violated \"Open Source Code\" regulations.. but you can still get it here Download Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe, upload your files and earn money.

They plan to write the code themselves and re-release it.

tblount--Thanks for the link. To boot from a USB would be nice.

Back