Windows 7 Need Help on New PC Build - Graphic Card

Jerald7

Need help choosing Graphics Card
Time for another PC build. I have the following components (listed below) ordered from Newegg for my new build. I need advice on getting the best graphics card for my needs. I am NOT a gamer. I currently have (3) monitors on my main PC, and this new build will replace it. I will need three monitors on this new build also. My monitors all have DVI, VGA & HDMI jacks. The mobo that I have ordered only has (2) HDMI jacks (no vga or DVI). This PC will be primarily used for office work and some PhotoShop CS5 and Lightroom photo editing (but nothing serious). For driving three monitors, will I need one or two video cards? I guess the mobo can drive two monitors. I do have a ASUS EAH6850 1GB video card in my current PC, that I could take out and put in this new PC, but it is 3 years old, don't know about compatibility, so I think I would like a new card.
Thanks for any advice you could give.

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K
Mobo: MSI Z87 MPOWER LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC Flagship High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Platform Intel Motherboard
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready
Memory(16 GB): Crucial Ballistix 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0
Case: Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256N/AM 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
DVD drive: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Internal 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model ihas324-07
Monitors: (2) ASUS 27" (1) ASUS 24"

Last edited:
A 3 year old should have no compatibility issues - assuming the card maker has provided drivers for your new OS. Since you are not a gamer, if me, I would use the old card along with the integrated solution.

That said, if you want a new card, look here, Toms Hardware, Best Graphics Card for the Money, June 2013.

And speaking of your OS, I don't see an operating system listed. A common mistake is some users assume they can use their old Windows license on a new computer or when upgrading their motherboards. Understand only a "boxed" full Retail license can be transferred to a new computer (or upgraded motherboard). It is illegal to use an OEM license that came with or was purchased for one computer on another computer. A disk “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with “OEM/System Builder”, “Upgrade”, “Academic Edition”, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". So if that is the case, I recommend 64-bit Windows 7 or Windows 8, or one of the many free Linux alternatives. Just ensure it is 64-bit since you have selected 16Gb of RAM.

Note I am just the messenger stating the facts. This is all in the EULAs we agreed to abide by when we first used our OEM software on the original computers.

Let me add this info to the video issue: My new mobo has 2 HDMI ports and also (1) Display Port. Can I hook up 3 monitors to these three ports?

I currently use Windows 7 Professional in the PC I am replacing. I'm trying to decide between Win 7 Pro or Win 8 Pro, but will most likely stick with Win 7 Pro 64 bit. I do have a Win 7 Home premium OEM 64 bit that I haven't even opened, may use that.

I would check your motherboard manual but it sounds like you are good to go. But note in some graphics solutions, even though there are more than 2 ports, only 2 can be used at one time.
I do have a Win 7 Home premium OEM 64 bit that I haven't even opened, may use that.
That will work. Just remember, once you install it, it is then tied to that motherboard and cannot be used elsewhere. But that's better than sitting on the shelf doing nothing.

Hello I am a bit late to this question but I think I can answer it definitively.

The boards spec page here:

MSI Global Z87 MPOWER MAX

Click on Specifications then on Detail Specifications has a listing near the bottom(in the section Back Panel I/O Ports) which indicates, if I understand it correctly, that this board will support 3 monitors in either extended desktop or cloned desktop modes.

The video card you have (ASUS EAH6850) is a very capable card that will natively support three monitors. The rest of your system is more in line with this card than the integrated graphics of your proposed CPU. The difference is literally night and day and for no extra dollars.

The question of operating system is simply one of choice in either case.

Good luck.

Yes, the MSI Z87 MPOWER LGA 1150 Intel Z87 mobo does support three monitors, system is working great. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Back