Windows 7 Need help with thumbnails urgent please

3doz

I did something but dont know what
every thumbnail is gone even in the control panel personalize section
Yes I have done all the normal ways to get them back but no joy

yes they were operational

I did have a tweek program and reg cleaner installed it could have been that , but it crashed and I removed it

thanks bob

one other error shows Desktop windows manager disabled
how can this be set

1. cmd (as admin) -> type:

net stop uxsms
and hit 'enter'

net start uxsms
and hit 'enter'

2. Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Personalization -> Set Aero theme

There is a command that compairs all the systems file with the original if any have been altered would that do the job?
if so what is it as I have forgotten
would running the install again as a upgrade fix the problem?
There must be a solution its almost impossible to work around as I sell classic movies and lots of them , without seeing the photos its impossible to select the one required

I did something but dont know what
every thumbnail is gone even in the control panel personalize section
1. Looks like you screwed up your registry. Create a new admin account to see if it fixes the problem. Also, try *4 which is at the end of this post.

2. As to the file integrity checker, it's cmd -> sfc /scannow (need to have your 7 dvd in drive).

3. There is a third Registry file that is created when Windows is first installed on the computer. If Windows came pre-installed on your system, you will still have this file. This file is in the root directory, so you need to get to that by typing cd\. This will put you right to the root directory. From there, you need to reset the attributes to the third Registry file by typing attrib –r –h –s –a system.1st. This file is created when Windows first installs. To use it, type copy system.1st c:\{windows}\system.dat. By doing this, you copy the contents of system.1st into a newly created system.dat file. This new system.dat file effectively resets the main portion of the Registry for you.

Reboot the computer and try it.

* 4. Try these steps:

1) Click on Start and type regedit at run

2) From left pane find and select the next registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

3) Right click on the right details pane, and create three DWORD (32-bit value) entry (bold only) and set value for each one:

UseMachineCheck – set value: 0.
Blur – set value: 0.
Animations – set value: 0.

4) Close Regedit

5) Now click Start and type CMD with administrative Priviliges

6) Next type:

Net Stop uxsms
Net Start uxsms

With this command you will stop already used and start new Desktop Window Manager Session with new options added in registry.

7) Final step is to enable Aero interface with right click on desktop and choose: Personalize/Windows Colors.

checking the system file it showed some could not be replaced see attachment
attrib could not find system.1st
my search could not find this as well
A strange thing happened when I rebooted the computer it started up without the video driver working , looking in the control pannel it was missing
Restarted and it all came back as normal

again many thanks for the assistenace

Attachments

• cbx.zip
    510.7 KB · Views: 476
Great, sfc /scannow did the trick:

cbx.zip said:
00000420 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction have been successfully repaired

no I was thanking you for the assistance
please re read the message
nothing worked and some things I could not get working

Ok, this tricked me:

Restarted and it all came back as normal

You say nothing worked, but did you try this:

1) Click on Start and type regedit at run

2) From left pane find and select the next registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

3) Right click on the right details pane, and create three DWORD (32-bit value) entry (bold only) and set value for each one:

UseMachineCheck – set value: 0.
Blur – set value: 0.
Animations – set value: 0.

4) Close Regedit

5) Now click Start and type CMD with administrative Priviliges

6) Next type:

Net Stop uxsms
Net Start uxsms

This is what the reg values should be set for Aero to work.

Ok, this tricked me:

You say nothing worked, but did you try this:

This is what the reg values should be set for Aero to work.

Yes I have done that

2. As to the file integrity checker, it's cmd -> sfc /scannow (need to have your 7 dvd in drive).
Scannow showed a fault but could not correct,,,,,,,, the report was in a zip attachment

3. There is a third Registry file that is created when Windows is first installed on the computer. If Windows came pre-installed on your system, you will still have this file. This file is in the root directory, so you need to get to that by typing cd\. This will put you right to the root directory. From there, you need to reset the attributes to the third Registry file by typing attrib –r –h –s –a system.1st. This file is created when Windows first installs. To use it, type copy system.1st c:\{windows}\system.dat. By doing this, you copy the contents of system.1st into a newly created system.dat file. This new system.dat file effectively resets the main portion of the Registry for you.
This counld not be found by that command and I could not locate it myself (system.1st
Reboot the computer and try it.

sorry for the confusion

yes I have tried that as well No joy
this one a real stinker.

would reinstalling w7 as a update be of use or will it retain the problem

reinstalling w7 as a update be of use or will it retain the problem?
Did you update 7 from vista?

Try:

1. Regedit:

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/DWM/

Composition = 1
CompositionPolicy = 2

Reboot, see if these values stay in your registry.

2. Start -> type: 'aero' -> Find and fix problems with transparency and other visual effects.

The troubleshooting wizard will try to detect any problem by running a series of checks against various components required to make Aero works and running, such as video memory, Desktop Windows Manager (DWM) service, color depth, theme, power settings and etc. At the end of the analysis, the wizard will attempt to fix the issues related to Aero service and restart the Aero feature.Link Removed due to 404 Error

regedit was that and stays as is
I have tried the trouble shoorter many time in the hope it would fix the problem

is there anything radical I can try ?

Thank you all for the great trys , nothing worked
I have re installed it as a update
Now they are Back the problem solved .

I would like to know why that happend as nothing else cleared it

Regards bob

Back