Windows 7 Net Send replacement

FridayChild

I am running a medium-size Active Directory domain, based on Windows Server 2003.
We are starting to introduce Windows 7 clients in the domain, and I need a way to make so that Windows 7 boxes can receive instant messages sent by the domain admin using the classic "net send" command.
Since the net send command relies on the messenger service which is missing in Windows 7, I have had to install a third party application on each Windows 7 client (WinSent Innocenti).
I wonder is this the best way to proceed? What's the best way to notify domain users logged on WinXP and Win7 clients? Do you know of other/better solutions that WinSent?

msg?

MSG.EXE replaces Net Send in Windows Vista and 7, so have you tried using it?
I think the syntax is the same, just replace the "net send" with the "msg" command.

Re: msg?

Hi,

I'm not sure that the msg.exe will do the trick if there are still XP client on the network, so we also installed a third party application called "dmessage" (but it was because we had also to send messages to target people running specific applications so maybe it will not suit your needs).

Last edited:
Re: msg?

msg.exe just doesn't cut it, so I have installed (on the 7 boxes) a tool called WinSent Innocenti which enables them to receive messages.

We were looking for a similar thing to replace net send to broadcast to all users and also single users on our network and found that Pedros Script using msg.exe works super cool and worked well for us. Check the link in the above posts and download it.

Back