NET USE Problems

Hi, my situation is this:

imagine a place with 6 computers, they all have the same windows 7 ultimate instalation.

one of them has a printer, a LX-300, shared as "pacote".

I want to print remotely, using net use command.
I write net use lpt2: \\192.168.131.25\pacote
it gives me back: OK.

if I write net use, it appers as "OK".
but, when I type dir >lpt2
I receive access denied.

man, i`ve tried everything: I changed permissions on the printer, putting "everybody" allowed to do everything, put down the firewall, changed the specifications in advanced network settings
but, I still get ACCESS DENIED.

now the funny facts: ONE of the computers is able to print!!!!!!!!
TWO: is you put a windows XP computer, it is able to print!!!!!
the problem is with the windows 7 computers, and I don`t know why.

I wonder if anyone knows this answer.

cya!

I know your problem revolves around mapping a network printer in Windows 7, but on a related note, mapping a network drive on Windows 7 has a behavior one needs to be aware of. This relates to user account control, as can be seen here:
Mapped Network Drives with UAC on Windows Vista - Chris Jackson's Semantic Consonance - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Hopefully there is enough similarity between these problems of mapping a printer and mapping a network drive, for you to solve yours.

the computer where the printer is installed has the UAC configuration turned OFF (i hate that!)
and the terminals, which are trying to print on it, either

Based on my earlier experience, you could try the following:
- disable IPv6 in adapter properties of all the W7 computers (known Vista/XP "net use" problem)
- set all computers to the same workgroup, and name that "WORKGROUP" (known W7 RC problem if workgroup was names "MSHOME" or anything else than "WORKGROUP")

Hi,

I`ve checked, and all computers are in WORKGROUP.
I disabled the Ipv6 as well (unchecked its box).
restarted, but it still did not work.

just for adding: the computer that I said earlier that was working, now is NOT.
and the windows xp terminal, continues to work perfectly.

another note: all windows 7 in this problem have no updates from microsoft, they are virgin instalation (Am I being understandable? sorry `bout bad english... lack o practice).

I did try another thing
I tried to set a variable in Windows, like this: set lpt2=type [[arquivo]]>lpt2 (as it is working with my system, in vista), and I get again the ACCESS DENIED thing....

another thing: I tried to install the printer (it works) on Windows, and then net use it again: for example, my ip is 192.168.131.45, so i installed the 192.168.131.25\pacote in Windows, then shared it as epson, then did a net use lpt2: \\192.168.131.45\epson

and, this does not work, I don't know or understand why.

well, I hope someone helps me ;)

thanks!

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
try passing the username and password of an account on the machine hosting the printer within your net use command
net use lpt2: \\192.168.131.25\pacote /user:UserName UserPassword

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.