Windows Vista network icon

Jimbo22

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
My networking icon in the notification area of my laptop has disappeared after a few MS updates. How do i get this back? Big question is why did it disappear?

Hi Bass.... Same here. If you right click the middle of the "Taskbar" it will bring up a window with toolbars on it. At the bottom you'll see "Properties". Click on properties. It'll bring up "Taskbar Menu Properties". Click Notification Area. It will say select system icons you always want to show. Make sure "Network" is checked along with any other icons that may be missing. Click Apply-Restart etc. This is not for me a permanent solution, I've used it many times already. There is a permanent solution, I don't have it on me. I'll get back to you.

OK I Think This Is The Solution

The reason it went away is because "Windows Group Policy" disables Clock, Network, Power (Battery) Volume Icons.

Like I said sometimes the first solution I gave you will work, then it will disappear again with certain boxes grayed out. Link Removed - Not Found

as fast as it disappeared, it has reappeared and the check box is no longer grayed out. So I checked the box and it is back, for now any way. I checked out that article of your second post an holy crap batman, that is a lot of work for one little missing icon problem. MS doesn't make it easy on us. Now my problem is the volume keys on laptop don't work....what the hell now. Do you have a fix, suggestion for that....Thanks.

Thinking About Fix

I believe a lot of people have already had this registry edit (from the last time around) with Microsoft updates. I'd be interested to know if any of them have this problem again ? For some reason my computer was unaffected.... by they're updates in that time period.

Do you have a Volume Control Icon ? Maybe a re-install keyboard drivers would help.

!!! Microsoft has a registry download fix : Link Removed - Invalid URL
For fixing "Missing Notification Area Icons"

Last edited:
Back