Windows 7 Network issues on the lan

jms1989

Hi, so I've been having problems with my desktop dropping network connections with my home linux file server. Anytime I go to stream a file from it, it may play for 1-5 minutes then dies and the program playing it, wmp or vlc, locks up and I have to kill it from the task manager. It'll play files from another computer just fine and my laptop and sister's desktops play the files from the linux server no problem. I generally play 480 and 720p files but I know it'll handle 1080p video. I also booted a linux live cd on the desktop to narrow the problem down to software or hardware and it also played the same files without a hiccup so that tells me something is wrong with windows.

I've also updated the nic drivers but that didn't help. I'm on the verge of wiping windows and starting over if I can't avoid it. I started noticing the problem last sunday morning when I attempted to play a 720p vid from national geographics. It played for 5 minutes then the connection just drops and occasionally, other network activity on the system would stop too but it's mostly isolated with my server. I don't know what else to do short of reinstall. The desktop has been completely updated.

Problem desktop: windows 7 hp
Sister's desktop: windows 7 hp
Laptop: windows 8 hp
server: ubuntu 10.04

Back