Windows 7 Network Printer in XP Mode

perezjuanf

Being new at using the XP Mode of Windows 7

I am trying to print in a Network Printer while in the XP mode of Windows 7

I am able to print while in the Windows 7 mode by using the Apple Vonjour Utility, the Router is a wireless Apple Time Capsule. The printer is a Brther HL 2040 printer

Anyone can assist me with this? Hopefully I included all the info that is needed

Before Windows 7 the I was able to printer from my old XP
Thanks

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I haven't used XP mode lately, mainly because I've found other free offerings like VMware Player and Virtual Box superior products, however; neither come with a free copy of Windows XP Sp3 as part of their respective packages and require that you have a licensed copy of XP for the install.
I would assume that any printer that exists on the Host machine should be available to the VM client. But since you are apparently not using native Windows 7 software or networking components to facilitate the use of the Brother printer on the Windows 7 Host, then it's possible, and I never thought I would ever hear myself suggesting such a thing, you may need to add the Bonjour service to the Client (XP Vm) in order to get it to work.
NOTE: Just have found that very often the Bonjour service can cause more networking issues with Windows 7 then it ever actually solves.
Good Luck
Randy

I might not have made clear, the Windows 7 is in my LapTop and I am using the XP mode of the Windows 7

The LapTop is in a Wireless Network that has an Apple Time Capsule Router

I am trying to print while using the XP Mode of the Windows 7 in my LapTop

Hopefully I made myself a little bit more clear

Last edited:
I thought I read and understood your original explanation which by the way, I thought was clear and concise.
But I may have assumed too much.
How is the printer interfaced with the Host Computer (Windows 7) by default it has both a USB and Parallel interface but also supports an NC-2100p (external ethernet print server) and I assumed because you had mentioned both the router and the fact that you had used the Bonjour service to print from within the Host Computer (Windows 7) that it was a network printer.
Printers that are available to the host computer (windows 7) should be available to add to the Client OS Virtual Machine.
Print from a virtual machine
There are a few methods we can use to make a printer available to a virtual machine.
To share a local USB printer
Use this method if the printer driver is available for both the hosting Windows 7 and the guest Operating System.

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and that the printer driver is available for installation. Redirect the printer to the virtual machine. From the virtual machine window, click USB and then click Attach [device name].
  2. Install the printer driver in the guest operating system.
  3. Release the printer from the virtual machine. From the virtual machine window, click USB and then click Release [device name].
  4. Restart the virtual machine. From the virtual machine window, click Action and then click Restart.
  5. Navigate to the virtual machine desktop, and log on if necessary
  6. The printer will now be available in the host Windows 7 operating system and the guest operating system.
To configure a network printer for a virtual machine

1. Navigate to the virtual machine desktop, and log on if necessary.
  2. Open Control Panel, and then open Printers.
  3. Click Add Printer. The Add Printer Wizard opens.
  4. On the Local or Network Printer page, select the network printer option and complete the wizard.

If your guest operating system is Windows XP, you must manually install the printer driver for each printer.
To install a printer driver in Windows XP

1. Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.
  2. Under Printer Tasks, click Add a printer. The Add Printer Wizard opens.
  3. On the Local or Network Printer page, select Local printer attached to this computer and clear automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer.
  4. On the Select a Printer Port page, click the drop-down control and select one of the TS number ports and click Next.
  5. On the Install Printer Software page, select Windows Update or Have Disk and complete the wizard.
To print from a virtual machine

1. Navigate to the virtual machine desktop, and log on if required.
  2. Do one of the following:
    1. From the desktop of the virtual machine, right-click a file and click Print.
    2. Open any application that includes a print option, and then use the print command.
  3. All printers available to the virtual machine are listed. Select a printer, and then click OK.

1. SOURCE: Printing in XP Mode with Windows Virtual Machine - Microsoft Answers

Back
Top Bottom