Windows 10 Network Problem

Joe S

Excellent Member
Anybody having problems getting Windows 10 to work on an existing Work group network? All of my Windows 7, Vista and XP machines real and virtual work fine. Windows 10 allows access from Windows 7 but Windows 10 opens the selected Windows 7 PC but when I select a folder it has an error. I've turned off firewalls, reset sharing and about anything else I could think of. I'm running Windows 10 in VMware Player that I updated Tue.
Joe

I have, as a standard, a Dell Stationery running dual boot windows 10 and windows 8.1. I have two Laptops, one running Windows 7, which is in use by my wife, and a rather old Laptop which I keep purely for installing and testing builds of Windows 10. I have put these all on the same homegroup. I share two printers out from the stationery, and gave access for most items, from the stationery, to all items on the other computers. No problems that I am aware of - so far! You say an error? Is it a message or..? I am not, at the moment, running VMware or any virtual program, so that could well be the problem. Perhaps someone using it can chip in here and advise

I'm not using the homegroup but work group. The message mentions something about a possible spelling problem The error code was 0x800704cf. I've got bronchitis now when I feel better I'll see if homegroup works better I never used that before.

Joe

My home workgroup consists of:

Hyper-v server (installed as a stand alone), seagate central, xp, windows 7, windows 8 and 8.1 (dual-boot laptop) + my two network drives… windows 10 can see the music and photos of the 7 and xp and anything on the public seagate or the two network drives. It can NOT interface with the xp or 7 machines otherwise (which is normal) and the new IE can’t interface with the tools built into the seagate central because ie can’t allow the security certificate… this has been repeatedly reported as a bug but I suspect it is a design limitation i.e. deliberate.

I have windows 10 on vmware 10 (laptop) + hyper-v (stand alone)… they both see my group without issue. I did briefly have it installed on its own machine as well but it proved unstable, in fairness the hardware was vintage.

Q. where is your dhcp on this network and has the windows 10 got its own ip set a side for it?

Anybody having problems getting Windows 10 to work on an existing Work group network?
Short answer..... Yep, I am or I did have.
Turned off IPv6 on both ends and all was good with the world.
I discovered that Win10 does seem to really like communicating persistently using IPv6. I discovered this by pinging around. If you use ping with the -a switch something like....
ping -a 192.168.1.xxx (any IPv4 address of one of your network nodes) you'll notice that you receive IPv6 information in the returns.
Figure 11-1 NetBT in the TCP/IP protocol suite

Requests for Comments (RFCs) 1001 and 1002 define NetBIOS operation over IPv4. NetBT is not defined for IPv6. NetBIOS over TCP/IP is sometimes referred to as NBT.
SOURCE: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727013.aspx

And evidently for things of a NetBIOS nature it (Win10) doesn't seem to want to failover to IPv4 to help with name resolution for NetBIOS Names.
So you end up getting Error 0x800704cf the network location cannot be reached

So if someone else with similar issues can experiment (not in a virtual environment as I haven't tested to see if that is a problem under those conditions), real Win10 machine to real Win7 machine, I would appreciate hearing if turning off IPv6 in your network adapter's properties helped resolve it.

Other folks know a lot more about networking than I, but I am seeing no problems. For me to see what might be going on, I would need to know exactly what you are doing when you get the error message.

But I will say you need to check and make sure the Workgroup designations are the same and all systems are showing a private network. Also check and make sure a homegroup has not been set up without your knowledge. File sharing should be enabled.

I can open Explorer and look in the Network and see my Widows 8 and 7 systems. I can only see folders I have set up a share on and can open those fine.

My Windows 10 install in not Virtual, so I would not know about setting up additional IP addresses or whatever may be needed for the Virtual system.

@Trouble, can you still remote management into your 10 with ip6 turned off? I assumed that was needed (at least) for an enhanced session.

@anyone, why have a workgroup network that isn't also a homegroup… is sharing a public documents folder really that big a deal? Yes at an office in the city is fair enough but this system is at home.

@Joe S, if your vmware has just updated itself then probably worth opening your virtual network editor to confirm that the vm you are using still has compatible ip addresses. A nat or auto-bridge network should be fine but if you are on say vm-5 then the built in dhcp/ filter may need adjusting.

I think I concur with Saltgrass on this one. Through my own negligence, I am weak on knowledge of networking. But when I read threads such as this, I sometimes feel this is to my advantage. (?). Basically I stick to the rules and defaults. I have all my computers with the same workgroup and homegroup. The code for the late, of course, used to setup on all. I use and transfer anything from computer to computer, as I wish, without problems..

Last edited:
Hacking the registry just to fix a share is over the top imo but I'm happy you have it working again.

Back