Network Setup

Everything on the previous post fixed itself like you said, but now when I try to access the T2 computer from the network page in the server it gives me an error that says

"\\T2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to fid out if you have access permissions.

loggon Failure: The target account name is incorrect"

What is T2, is it a client machine or the Domain AD Domain Controller.
If client make sure that it is joined to the Domain and it is pointing to your Domain DNS server for name resolution, make sure you are logging on with domain credentials. Double check Active Directory Users and Computers, make sure that the computer account is present. Try logging on as a different domain user (domain admin) see if the problem persists.

T2 is one of the clients computers. The client is joined ito the domain and it is pointing at the domain dns server. I tried loging in with domain credetinals and neither with a user or administrator account was able to log in. I deleted the computer account and recreated it but didn't help

Delete the computer account again and don't recreate it from within AD Users and Computers.
Log onto the client machine and right click computer and choose properties.
Select the computer name tab and change to Workgroup, just make up a name call it test, doesn't matter. reboot.
Check and double check in the properties of of the network adapter on the problem machine under IPv4 and make sure that the IP address of your Domain Controller / DNS server is the one and only entry for DNS servers. No alternate / secondary.
Now right click my computer again and choose properties and select the computer name tab and try to join the domain from the client machine, change to domain and enter your domain name (MyDomain.lan), you should be prompted for domain credentials. Or you'll get an error that no domain controller could be found, in which case the client machine is not pointing at the DNS/Domain controller, or else there is a problem with DNS service records on the server.

ok did what you said, and when I tried to reconnect to the domain it gave me the following error. "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "CAP" Multiple connections to a server or shered resource by the same user, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

Sounds like the mapped network drive "W:" may be causing the issue. Open my computer, right click on the mapped network drive, choose disconnect. Or in your case you may need to use the command
net use W: /delete
Then try to join the domain again.

Also when logging onto a domain from and XP client machine make sure to always use the full domain username in the username box like;
[email protected] or
be sure to drop down the "Log On To" box and always select the Domain.

All right the mapped drive was the issue. Now I remember that when I did the POS install on this client computer and created the W: drive, it was not joined into the domain, and I joined it into the domain afterwards, and that seems to have caused the problem. Now everithing is working PERFECT. Thank you very much Randy. without your help I wouldn't been able to accomplish this implementation in my store.

Excellent news, glad it's going good finally. Glad to have been of some small help, it was fun though difficult at long distance without being able to actually see what's happening or put my hands on the equipment. Thanks for the kind words and I'll be around if you need anything further.

what would be your recommendation for a anti virus software for my server? all the client computers have avast internet security installed already. Science I had them way before the server, I installed avast and have about six moths left on the license. Would this have any conflict with a different anti virus on the server?

Ah, a bit out of my wheel house. Too subjective a topic.
I will just say that I like
Eset Nod32 as well as
Kaspersky, but you may find there small business server version products a little expensive.
If you're like me and extremely budget conscious you may want to look at a product like
Vipre
There may even be a few free products still out there that will run on server 2008, just not aware of them currently.

Good morning, Today I was able to log in the client computer to the domain and it logged in with no problem, but when I went to access the client computer from the server network page it gave me the error that was giving me before

"\\T2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to fid out if you have access permissions.

loggon Failure: The target account name is incorrect"

I can log into the domain from the client with no ploblem.

Several things that could be causing this;
First double check from another client machine and see if you get the same error. Try substituting the IP address of the T2 machine like \\192.168.nnn.nnn (actual ip of machine)
Check the properties of the network card on the client machine, make sure that "Client for Microsoft Networks" and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" are both checked. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click the properties button, click the advanced button and select the WINS tab, click the radio button that says "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and OK your way back out of there, select the advanced tab and click the settings button, make sure that under the exceptions tab of the windows firewall setting dialog box that file and printer sharing is checked.
Type services.msc into the run dialog box (Windows Key + R) hit enter, check and make sure that both the server service and the workstation service are started and set to automatic as thier startup type.
Remove any type of third party application that may be acting as a supplemental firewall, Comodo, ZoneAlarm, any of many Internet Security Suites.
Microsoft recently announced that they are allowing Small Businesses (10 computers or less) to utilize their Link Removed due to 404 Error product so consider replacing your current application with that product since it seems to be a great deal more network friendly, very small footprint and resource friendly and seems to do a pretty good job. It's supported on XP Service Pack 3.
Do you have all your client machines configured to use static IP addresses?
Like T2 192.168.1.102, T3 192.168.1.103, T4 192.168.1.104, etc. If not, consider doing something similar, if you are relying on DHCP from something other than your Domain Controller hosting DHCP services (like a third party router) there maybe some lag in DNS updating its' service records regarding a particular client (hostname) and a new or different IP address, just a thought.

hi,sorry for interrupt. i have a windows server 2008 r2 in the office. i know the ws2008r2 has the limit, so i want to make it as a member of client. just like other computer. i had try connect to domain just like other computer client and a message appear "the server did not finish checking the license compliance.if the server is joined to a domain, make sure that the server can connect to a domain controller."
is there anyway to make this windows server 2008 r2 as a client?

Shouldn't be an issue becoming a member server as long as it's not already a domain controller.
Just make sure that it can see the existing domain controller and that it is pointing at the Domain DNS server for name resolution (Probably the existing Domain Controller).
If you are talking about something completely different like just configuring it to host printers and shares in a homegroup, just make sure all computers have the same workgroup name.
Check this resource for additional information regarding the error. It has to be able to communicate with the existing Domain Controller, so make sure the IP address of the Domain's DNS server is first (primary) on the problem servers DNS server list.

thanks for the reply, i try to make the windows server 2008 r2 foundation as a client only,i put a domain name in the member of Domain e.g. microsoft.com. then i give the IP address and i put a preferred DNS server. everything is the same just like the setting on my windows vista. but the message keep appeared. " The server did not finish checking the license compliance.". Is there any possible that windows server 2008 r2 foundation become a client pc/normal pc just like others client pc. Or can i change the domain and select the member of "workgroup:"?.

Yes but you will need to edit out the information regarding the domain membership and change it back to just a workgroup computer. Set the workgroup name to workgroup and make it the same on the vista machine. There is no reason you need to reference any domain (least of all microsoft.com) if you are not running a local domain controller. For DNS resolution then you only need to either enter the address of the inside edge of your router or the DNS servers supplied by your ISP, or another option is to use Public DNS servers. Test and see which one works the best.
As a matter of fact if you are not actually using the internet and are only working on a private reserved collision domain, then you don't need DNS at all (FQDNs to IP addresses) WINS or NetBIOS will resolve computer names (friendly names) to IP addresses for you as long as you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the properties of IPv4, in the properties of your network adapter. And make sure you start the TCP/IP NetBIOS helper service and set the startup type to automatic on all your computers.
Or alternately install WINS on the 2k8 R2 server and point it at itself for WINS resolution and point the Vista machine and anyother network nodes at it as well.

Back