Windows 7 Network

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Wi 7x64 Belkin Surf N300
Hello
Please advise:
control panel>network and internet>view network computers and devices>router >properties>settings>services>select the services on the network that network users can access>Skype TCP, Skype UDP, and Teredo are listed AND checked.

Is this a secure setting that my Belkin router set up or is there a problem?
Thank you
Peter

Peterr:
Those particular settings refer to inbound connection to your computer's services from the network and are not actually dependent on settings that may or may not be configured on your physical router.
I have nothing checked in that particular dialog box and it doesn't seem to have negatively impacted my network that I can see.
If you use some of the more sophisticated Skype services (inbound calling, video sessions, etc.,) then you may need to leave them checked, but you can certainly uncheck them and experiment as to how doing so impacts your use of the product.
Additionally Teredo is a tunneling protocol to aid and support encapsulation of IPv6 within IPv4, so unless you are allowing inbound VPN connections or something similar I would suggest also unchecking that.
Regards
Randy

Hi Randy
I really do not undrstand any of this rather complex material so I certainly appreciate your advice.
I was wondering if Norton's Security Suite has to do with Teredo being checked.
i will gladly uncheck it if you still advise me to.
Thank you

Not sure what features Norton may use for their update feature so I can't say positively although I wouldn't think that it would be using an inbound teredo tunnel, but I do not think that there would be any reason that you couldn't uncheck any of the services that are presently checked then reboot your machine and test to see if Norton isn't functioning properly. If you notice any detrimental results as a result of unchecking access to a particular service then you can always go back and re-check it. As I mentioned earlier, I have the two Skype services unchecked and am able to use Skype normally. Chat and computer to computer skype calling in and out, however I don't have a skype number nor a webcam so I don't use some of the more robust features of the program and I cannot check to see if my having unchecked those two particular items would impact those parts of the program or not.

Back