Windows 7 Networking Connectivity

kalelj

Hey i just installed the 64-bit version of windows 7 build 6801 and it's been good so far but now I have one hassle that's killing me. How do I view 32-bit computers on my network, it's not working. I got a computer running XP SP3 and a Vista but they don not come up at all in my network places.

Last edited:
My 64-bit version sees XP as well as Vista 32-bit computers that are in the same workgroup.
You can check this through Control Panel > System and Security > System.

I have the similar problem.... I have Win 7 64-bit and I don't see the PC with XP 32-bit but only Vista 32-bit. PC with Win 7 is seen from all computers in network. Of course all computers are in the same workgroup.

re

You have to ensure that the other computers have the proper permissions to see your computer on the workgroup. I ran into a similar issue when I was file sharing between a vista 64bit and an xp 32 bit. The problem is the new Security features they have built in. You have to download for XP the Link Layer Protocol so that they will show up on the vista and windows 7 maps. Otherwise they will not show. Hope this helps.

Before I installed Win 7 I had Vista 64-bit and on other computers Vista 32-bit, Win XP 32-bit and everything worked fine. I'm suspecting network driver because Win 7 doesn't recognize automatically. It was necessary to install driver for network card later. I installed network driver for Vista 64-bit with no compatibility problem..... As I said PC with Win 7 is seen and communicate with no problem from all computers in network, I just don't see the PC with XP 32-bit from Win 7...

Re

Try going to the following link on your xp machine and installing this to the machine. Link Removed due to 404 Error If that doesnt work then I dont know.

Understood

If you're running XP SP3, this link is obsolete. (already a part of SP3)
I understand know that this was included in service pack three. I must have over read it several months ago. I would recommend going into your network adapter and ensure that there is a check mark next to the link layer topology discovery. You can view my attachment for further details. Hope that helps.

hey I got Windows 7 see to see Xp by actually copying the shortucts of the folders that were shared into a flash drive and copied them to my desktop and I automatically went in. I did this on 32-bit version, i do not know if it'll work on 64-bit

Oh, bloody heck... this isn't a bug,it's a feature?!? They deliberately hamstrung things so you HAVE to install a bit of extra junk onto all the other machines on the LAN before they show up on Network properly?!? So what happens with legacy hardware where all the networking stuff is in ROM? Say, in an ethernet print-server device? What about Linux boxen? My NAS (Network Attached Storage) is an old PC running NASLite (NASLite v1.x File Servers), which crams all the stuff to make the NAS work onto a floppy disk and uses the HDDs entirely for files. There is NO WAY to retrofit onto that system other kinds of "make these files available to the network" junk.

Is there a way to turn OFF this malfeature from inside Win7?

Back
Top Bottom