Networking problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by rad2905, Dec 2, 2008.

1. rad2905

rad2905 New Member

I have a problem w/win7 and I think I might find the solution here.
    1. I love this new os. Can't wait to see beta.
    2. Network problem - can't see my other computer, running winxp, even though everything is set identically as on Vista I run as a 2nd OS. The computers are set to be in the same workgroup. The setup is as follows:

1st Network adapter: Realtek 100/10, automatic IP - internet. Disabled file sharing, works OK.
    2nd Network adapter: Atheros 1000/100/10, IP 192.168.0.10 (other comp 192.168.0.20)...

As I mentioned, everything is as on Vista, where the setup works. Any sugestions?

PS, if anyone has a spare Vista beta key, I'd surely appreciate it.
    Thanx in advance

#1 rad2905, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. mrencee

mrencee New Member

Same problem here

I notice the same thing with my setup as well. Windows 7 cannot see any WinXP or Linux machines, but sees a Vista machine on my network.

Is anyone else having this same problem with this 6801 build?

:confused:

3. rad2905

rad2905 New Member

Funny, but it seams that there's no real problem with networking, only with Windows 7 displaying the computers in the area in the "Network" folder...
    I tried to add a printer (connected to winxp computer), and it worked. I thought, let's try the typing...
    ...and I did. I typed \\zoolander\d at the windows explorer, and it worked. The location (HDD D) opened, and I could use the shared D drive on my other comp.
    Hope it helps...
    But there's no way for me to "add a network place" in order to prevent me from typing the address, every time I wanted something from that other PC...
    Any suggestions?

4. iroken22

iroken22 Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

re

I am having the same problem with my windows 7 machine. I can access it by going to run and typing in \\192.168.1.5 but when i go to the network show the computer is not displayed as it was in vista.

5. nzcroc

nzcroc New Member

6. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Click the C: folder on your XP computer. Then click the "Sharing" tab
    Click "Share this folder on the Network"
    Now see if you can access it from your 7 installation.

7. iroken22

Premium Supporter

Re

This does not help with making the computer accessible in windows 7. That just makes the folder viewable.
    this was included in Service Pack three and i have service pack three and the problem is still not fixed. I believe this is a feature that they have yet to fix and i have sent it in as feedback to see if they will fix it and will keep everyone apprised of the info.

8. iroken22

Premium Supporter

Re

I apologize. My wireless network adapter inadvertenly had the check mark next to the link layer topolgy responder thing unchecked. I then checked it and went to my windows 7 computer and was able to see the computer with no problems.