Windows 7 New ASUS notebook doesn't complete windows 7 installtion

zillah

Honorable Member
New ASUS notebook doesn't complete windows 7 installation

Hi Experts

Client of mine has bought his notebook ASUS U31S with external DVD drive yesterday and he asked me to install windows 7 ultimate (origin was windows 7 home edition) beside other operating system Linux and Solaris.

I divided the 500 GB hard disk but didn't touch the hidden partition that has recovery. I formatted the C partition that had windows 7 home edition and install a fresh copy of windows 7 ultimate,,,,,the process was smooth , first restart asking about username and computer name , password,,,etc ,,,,but with the second restart, PC kept rebooting without completing the windows installation.

Although I have used the same windows 7 CD on his other new laptop and the installation went smooth without any problem. I tried different media same problem.

This laptop does have an external DVD driv, of course it is an LG and brand new What could be the cause of this issue ?

Regards

Last edited:
... which SATA-Mode set in BIOS ? ... which USB-Settings in BIOS set-up ? ...

... tried to go over the Boot-Menu after the computer restart ? ... Windows-7 sometimes looses the plot ...

:)

Try running a startup repair...

If there were multiple OSes installed, the boot system can only be guessed at by us.

How did you divide the partition?

Try running a startup repair...
Didn't fix the issue

How did you divide the partition?
Hidden partition 30 GB left intact
250 GB C primary active
300 GB Logical with 100 D partition for windows rest will be used for Linux and Solaris later on

If there were multiple OSes installed, the boot system can only be guessed at
by us.

No multiple OSs yet

Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure what is going on yet, but some laptops may have a recovery system that overrides the Windows install.

It looks like your are partitioning 580GB of a 500G drive. 30GB, 250GB, 300GB Extended (w/100GB logical for Windows)

The Windows boot files, will go in the active partition. Is there some reason you seem to be putting the install in a logical partition? It is hard to visualize a drive setup from a description, so I may be misunderstanding.

It looks like your are partitioning 580GB of a 500G drive. 30GB, 250GB, 300GB Extended (w/100GB logical for Windows)
Since I was not in front of the laptop when I replied you ,,,that was roughly the sizes on top of my head,,,,,,,

I have checked it now and the actual recovery 20 GB but I has estimated as 30 GB ,,,,,C partition (primary and active is 200 GB not 250GB) for windows 7 installation,,,,,reset of 500 GB (500 -250 = 250) left for logical

Is there some reason you seem to be putting the install in a logical partition?
300 GB Logical with 100 D partition for windows
Sorry I should have said for windows 7 data files , not for windows 7 OS,,,,because I had used partition C primary and active for windows 7 installation

... was Windows-7 creating this extra 100MB Partition when you had chosen the Install-Partition ? ... did you do the partitions over the Windows-7-Setup or with a sep. Tool ? ... maybe make an image from the recovery partition and delete the partition to prevent possible trouble from the partition ...

:)

I partitioned the HD by using Acronis tool,,,,,and when I installed windows 7 also I let windows to format C just as precaution that windows 7 might not like that partition because it was created by Acronis

I would still do a Startup Repair and it may need to be done 3 times with reboots in between. If that doesn't fix it, something else is going on, like the Recovery partition somehow, or even a bad drive. I did have a new drive once that I could install Windows, but shortly afterward, the drive would refuse to boot correctly.

You have dealt with this exact system and you know there are no device problems? You may try removing the External DVD drive during the first reboot since the install media is no longer necessary. And a Flash Drive install is always an option.

Last edited:
.. maybe make an image from the recovery partition and delete the partition to prevent possible trouble from the partition ...

Hi TONSCHUH

The issue was with the recovery hidden partition 21 GB , I backup up that partition buy using Acronis then I deleted it form the hard drive ,,,,now I have got no problem with windows 7 installation

Regards

Back
Top Bottom