New computer, no CD

jasonw

Well its not new. I got it in Feb 06 but there is no disk. It has a recovery image on the HD but what happens if, no when my HD goes bad? I don't have a DVD burner, is there any way to get the OS on an external drive to reinstall or put on a burner later so I don't have to worry about a HD failure?

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Your HD will probably last the lifetime of the system as it is actually quite rare for them to break down..

jasonw

Realy? I have found that not true, this however is my first new HD so maybe I just use to get old crap. They don't last long after kicking the case on a blue screen lol:)

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
LOL.....no I guess not.
Have you tried Acronis? Depending on the the manufacturer they should really supply you with a disk.. Could you contact them and ask?

jasonw

Acer told me how to create a DVD so I have a copy but I need a DVD burner to do that. HP was no help. They said the copy I have is an OEM copy and only good as long as it works, if I have a problem I need to buy a coppy.

village idiot

Acer told me how to create a DVD so I have a copy but I need a DVD burner to do that. HP was no help. They said the copy I have is an OEM copy and only good as long as it works, if I have a problem I need to buy a coppy.

That's so typical of all brand manufacturers:rolleyes: