Windows 7 New Dell XPS 8300s - both with BSODs ntoskrnl+71f00 and hal.dll+12903

gunslinger

Hey folks. This one is wierd because I had 10 new Dell XPS 8300s, Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. Identical ssytems. I reimangined them with the same image. 8 are fine but 2 just will not be happy throwing very regular BSODs. To rule out bad image (though other 8 fine) tried a reformat on them with fresh install disk but same result. Alos applied all Dell's suggested drivers, o luck.

Attached zip folder with the requested files and reports run PLUS 2 screenshots (BSOD1 and 2) of Nirsofts Bluescreenview results.

Any help appreciated.View attachment a_gunslingerBSOD.zip

Last edited:
If they are brand new I don't know how much time I would spend troubleshooting the issue before I got Dell involved with a replacement system.
Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. By that I mean confirm that all components are identical including memory modules and most importantly BIOS version / date.
Other than a minor complaint regarding
Code:
fffff880`08795628  fffff880`03f4b0c6 Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\[COLOR=#ff0000][U][B]atikmpag.sys[/B][/U][/COLOR], Win32 error 0n2
And the fact that Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 is not installed, I am not seeing anything jumping out at me.
If it was mine I would probably jump the voltage a bit on the memory from 1.5 to 1.58 or 1.6 and test for a while, but with a Dell machine that may not even be an option.
You may want to hit it with MemTest
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.
Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+
And perhaps chkdsk C: /R
just to make sure those hardware components are OK.
And as a final suggestion, check and confirm that if there is an SSD involved that the most current firmware is installed.
Regards
Randy

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Randy. This has become quite a mystery. Dell completely useless. Basically brand new. This will be the thrid reformat/OS reinstall, thats why there is no W7 SP1. It BSODs even well all updates installed. Slowly getting it updated, but dont expect updates to solve anything this time either. Im kind of bummed something obvious was seen - this is driving me nuts! Will run those tests and report back. It may be a different hardware dump message with each BSOD Im afraid. Soemthig is not happy - in TWO different identical computers.

Back
Top Bottom