Windows Vista new hardware/reformat

Jimbo22

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
I have installed a video card awhile back and have a few hypothetical questions. If I had a problem that should pop up that I couldn't fix and need to reformat can I leave my video card and a proceed as normal. Would I have to remove card because it is not part of original system configuration and reinstall after the reformat. I don't know why I didn't ask about this when I got my video card but it never came to my attention. Now that it has I am kind of stumped and worried. Any body gone through something similar and what where the results. thanks

I believe during reformatt a video card is one of the pieces you leave in, that and maybe a network card. All other hardware is taken off. About the video card not being original? I don't think it would make a difference.

I have installed a video card awhile back and have a few hypothetical questions. If I had a problem that should pop up that I couldn't fix and need to reformat can I leave my video card and a proceed as normal. Would I have to remove card because it is not part of original system configuration and reinstall after the reformat. I don't know why I didn't ask about this when I got my video card but it never came to my attention. Now that it has I am kind of stumped and worried. Any body gone through something similar and what where the results. thanks

Just to clear up any confusion..... Nothing has to be taken out and then put back in again when reformatting. Obviously once the os has been installed you will then need install the necessary drivers for each component eg chipset/motherboard, graphics card and sound card ect... Windows does carry it's own set of drivers (which is why your graphics card works when you first install it) but these are obviously old and are just used as a stopgap until you install the latest versions.

Edit: I think Celestra is referring to things like printers and scanners, which are best unplugged untill the os is installed

Yep.......you can change just about every part of your machine providing they are compatable with your motherboard and this does not effect reformatting your Hard Drive. In general Windows will find & install drivers for most of your hardware without having to search for them yourself although they might not be the latest versions. As Kemical says you can check the makers sites for newer versions and install accordingly.

Don't forget to set your boot order to CD/DVD first....

Just to clear up any confusion..... Nothing has to be taken out and then put back in again when reformatting. Obviously once the os has been installed you will then need install the necessary drivers for each component eg chipset/motherboard, graphics card and sound card ect... Windows does carry it's own set of drivers (which is why your graphics card works when you first install it) but these are obviously old and are just used as a stopgap until you install the latest versions.

Edit: I think Celestra is referring to things like printers and scanners, which are best unplugged untill the os is installed
:redface: Yes, correct, oops- that didn't come out quite right... Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back