Windows 7 New laptop with windows 7 32-bit

spikesnet

My buddy bought a Toshiba laptop from BestBuy and it came with windows 7 32-bit. The hardware clearly is compatible with Windows 7 64 bit so I'm not sure why they put 32-bit on it but he would like to change it to 64-bit.

Does this mean he has to buy a whole new copy of windows 7 if he wants to go to 64-bit or is there another way?

He called MS and asked them but they just tried to sell him a new copy for $200.

The one product key (or bios SLIC) activates both versions, x32 or x64 bit. If you need a x64 bit 7 DVD, Microsoft is supposed to send it to you upon your request at low cost, significantly lower than $200, smth around $30 if I remember right.

Another option is to contact your PC vendor to ask for x64 DVD or ask for a refund - I understand they sold it as x64 preinstalled, that's what you paid your money for, correct ?

No, the ad just stated "Windows 7 Home Premium" and didn't say 32 or 64. But the laptop can run 64-bit.

Is it retail or oem version, do you have the product key ?

Most likely you have OEM, contact Microsoft and ask them for a 7 64-bit OEM DVD, I know they would do this for x32 bit Retail Vista, should be the same for OEM versions.

I think its oem, the cdkey is on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Rather then windows 7 cd, it came with Toshiba rescue cds.

Contact Microsoft, ask if you can order x64 bit DVD for your license that you already have.

Software Baby, Software !!

The hardware clearly is compatible with Windows 7 64 bit so I'm not sure why they put 32-bit on it but he would like to change it to 64-bit.

I cannot answer the primary question you pose here, but I can, first hand, answer the question of why someone would want a 32 bit OS on hardware capable of running a 64 bit OS. The answer is "SOFTWARE"! When Windows 7 was in beta, I installed a 64 bit version for testing and while the OS installed on the hardware without any hickups, the first three applications that I attempted to install were not compatible with the 64 bit OS. These first three applications were my most frequently used applications, so I formatted and installed the 32 bit application and have not looked back since. That is why someone would want a 32 bit OS on hardware capable of running a 64 bit OS.

John

Back
Top Bottom