Windows 7 New mobo+win7

Pedro Bandeira

I bought a new mobo and updated my windows xp to windows 7 x86 some weeks ago, and I am having BSOD every time I turn on my computer since I did it. Can someone help me?

SPD - Slot #1

SPD-1.png

SPD - Slot #2

SPD-2.png

Memory

Memory.png

View attachment Seven Forums.rarLink Removed - Invalid URL

Your Kingston sticks are rated DDR800Mhz 6-6-6-18.
Your current setting are 667Mhz 5-5-5-15. Set wrong, that's why you're getting bsods.

Reset bios with setup/optimized defaults.

Enjoy.

Well, after reading this I reboot my pc and entered the bios, changed RAM settings as you said (they were on AUTO, have no idea why the mobo didn't got the right settings) saved and exit (F10+OK), nothing more. Well, my pc restarted and said:
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I turned it off, waited 10 seconds, booted it again, same message. So I entered my bios again and reset all AUTO in RAM settings.
Same message.

Now I booted with my windows 7 DVD and my HD is completely unallocated.

"Where do you want to install Windows?
Name Total Space Free Space Type
Disk 0 Unallocated Space 931.5 GB 931.5GB

Any idea of what happened? Is there a way to get all my files back? Did I really lose all my stuff?

As cybercore has said, adjusting ram settings is not what has produced your current situation.
It sounds like an adjustment in the BIOS has resulted in your computer not seeing the existing hard drive as it did formerly.
So perhaps, attempt to change how your hard drive is or should be as previously suggested may help or
Maybe trying one of the other default settings in the BIOS will produce satisfactory results.
Depending on the motherboard you may have options like
"Load Setup Defaults"
"Load Performance Defaults"
"Load Optimized Defaults"
Try experimenting with those or as previously suggested Change the hard drive behavior yourself to another available option and make sure that you choose to save your settings before exiting the BIOS setup utiliity.
Also make sure that you don't have any USB peripherals attached that may be causing boot problems, external drives, thumb drives, printers with slots for data cards, etc. Just in the interest of normalizing your existing hardware configuration.

Thanks for both answers, but I tried all of what you said and it didn't help. I think I lost my data.
Well, actually I don't understand what is "change your hard drive behavior".
And I would really appreciate and explanation, so I don't do this again, I mean, can a BIOS format and delete all partitions of a HD?

Thanks for both answers, but I tried all of what you said and it didn't help. I think I lost my data.
Well, actually I don't understand what is "change your hard drive behavior".
And I would really appreciate and explanation, so I don't do this again, I mean, can a BIOS format and delete all partitions of a HD?

Sorry my phraseology, was perhaps improper. I meant to say that altering your SATA controller's settings from the normal default of
NATIVE IDE to either
RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks or
AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface)
without the proper drivers having been previously installed, can result in your machine not booting and posting a blue screen of death when attempting to load the operating system. But no, changing these setting will not result in the loss of data. As a proof of concept I just did it on my computer, changed from Native IDE to RAID-> Blue Screened, went back and changed to Native IDE, booted fine, changed from Native IDE to AHCI -> Blue Screened, went back and changed it back again to Native IDE, booted fine.
Double check the BIOS utility and make sure that it is actually seeing your hard disk and then check the Boot priority menu and make sure that your Hard Drive containing you Operating System if first in the list.

That is the problem, my hard disk has no OS anymore, I just checked it in another computer, it simply disappeared after changing ram settings and I have no idea why.
But thanks, I am already reinstalling windows on it.

That is the problem, my hard disk has no OS anymore, I just checked it in another computer, it simply disappeared after changing ram settings and I have no idea why.
But thanks, I am already reinstalling windows on it.

I very much doubt that your HDD got mysteriously corrupted, most likely this is the result of switching HDD controller - sounds very much like it. Try different modes, IDE/AHCI/RAID. It might also have happened as a result of SATA port switching.

As soon as you set it back to what it was, you'll see your OS.

If you have no idea what it was and switching SATA doesn't help, load setup/optimized defaults, save, reboot and clean install the OS.

Back