Windows 7 New no matching name USB connectors

ToddeSwe

Hi!

I have bought a new motherboard and have an older USB racket with connectors that does not
match my new MB's description, can someone here tell me which to connect to which:

Mainboard's name:

1 = Power (5V)
2 = Power (5V)
3 = USB DX-
4 = USB DY-
5 = USB DX+
6 = USB DY+
7 = GND
8 = GND
9 = No Pin
10 = NC

Older USB racket connectors:

VCC 1
VCC 2
GND 1
GND 2
DATA +1
DATA -1
DATA +2
DATA -2
Sheild

Which of the above connectors goes where on my new mainboard?

Regards:

ToddeSwe

Last edited by a moderator:
So you bought a new motherboard but the wiring for your tower is not matching your new mobo am I correct or are you trying to install extra usb ports on back of tower? do you know model and mfg of tower or usb interface and model and mfg of new mobo? the diagrams and layouts below should help you determine the correct layout to use if not I can try to walk you through it I would need pictures of connector and then the pins on mobo or if you have the manual the diagram should be in there.

WIRE ASSIGNMENTS

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Red: + 5V / Voltage + / VCC
White: D - / Data - / USB -
Green: D + / Data + / USB +
Black: GND / Voltage - / Ground
Black: S-GND / Over Current / Shielding
The S-GND wire is fatter and can be easily recognized. The connection of S-GND wire to the header pin is optional.

HEADER CONNECTION GUIDES
Diagram 1: On most motherboards, the USB header/pin-out consists of 9 pins arranged in 2 rows, which allows for 2 USB connections (i.e. USB1 and USB2). Normally, the pins for USB1 and USB2 are in seperate rows.
Diagram 2: Simply plug the connector onto the 5-pins row, and make sure that the pin assignments and wire assignments are matched correctly.
Diagram 3: Alternatively, you can plug the connector onto the 4-pins row, and leave the S-GND wire unconnected.
You might have to rearrange the wires to match with the pin assignments, or change the header connector if necessary, depending on the layout of the USB header.
On some motherboards, there is a NC pin in the USB header. You can connect the S-GND wire onto this pin. NC simply means "no connection" and NC pin is an "empty" pin.
2X5 PINS HEADER
Refer to the diagram below, for 2x5 pins header, simply plug the connector onto one row of the pins, and always make sure that pin assignments and wire assignments are matched correctly. You might have to rearrange the wires if necessary.
cpx101_2p12.gif

2X4 PINS HEADER
Refer to the diagram below, for 2x4 pins header, simply plug the connector onto one row of the pins. Please note that there is no S-GND pin in this header. You can leave the S-GND wire unconnected. You might have to rearrange the wires if necessary, in such that the wire assignments and pins assignments are matched correctly.

ACTIVE PINS NOT IN THE SAME ROW
On some motherboards, the 4 active pins are not located in the same row, as shown in the example below:
Link Removed - Invalid URL To connect to this type of USB header, you need to change the header connector to 2x5. Simply rearrange the wires within the 2x5 connector to match with the pin assignments. If the green wire is connected to the USB2+ pin, the white wire must be connected to the USB2- pin. The red wire can be connected to any +5V pin, and the black (GND) wire to any GND pin. If there is no S-GND pin provided, you can leave the S-GND wire unconnected.

taken from Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
So you bought a new motherboard but the wiring for your tower is not matching your new mobo am I correct or are you trying to install extra usb ports on back of tower? do you know model and mfg of tower or usb interface and model and mfg of new mobo? the diagrams and layouts below should help you determine the correct layout to use if not I can try to walk you through it I would need pictures of connector and then the pins on mobo or if you have the manual the diagram should be in there.

Hi and WOW :) What a diagram! And yes to the first question, i have an older Thermaltake X-series case and with it came a USB front racket. But from the diagram you made me i think i know now how to do i but i can't find the shield thingy. :)

ToddeSwe

shield is the 3rd ground If used, Shield should be connected to Ground at the host only. No USB device should connect Shield to Ground also this site might help you USB pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru

Yes i read that "Shield should only be connected to Ground at the host. No device should connect Shield to Ground." But i did not understand it, can i just let it hang and not connect it then? :)

ToddeSwe

Back