Windows 7 New Problem

wilhelm1

Since the Original thread got very lengthy, I will post new problem.

My Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop now shows me this:

(Toshiba Recovery Wizard
Recovery of Factory Default Software
Preparing.
Initializing the Partition, Please Wait....)

There it sits. What do I need to do next? A friend took my laptop and was able to get the unit running but with
Win 7 Professional 32 bit. My unit was Win 7 ( NOT) Professional 64 bit. So it was going to have a problem with the product key shortly. That is when I deleted this by doing a Startup and hitting F8. That left me with
the above message.

A little Bump. Moving on, I might as well ask another question. If I were to buy a new computer, what OS should I
purchase in hopes that I would be able to get a free upgrade to Win 10? (Win 8, Win 8.1 or Win 8.2) I list all because
I know nothing of what Microsoft is planning or doing. Can't stand Win 8

IF you were to buy a new computer......
Computers running Win 8 can be upgraded to Win 8.1 for free.
Both computers with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. That's what we've been told.
Note : no such thing as Win 8.2.

Last edited:
For the time being though, Windows 10 is still in beta version. Bugs and glitches are expected.
It is not wise to install Windows 10 Technical Preview over Windows 8 or 8.1
The recommended way is to install it to a virtual machine such as Virtual Box or VMware player.

Last edited:
Thank you. Guess I will have to wait until they put it out to the flock. Don't know a Virtual Box
or VMware Player from a hole in the ground.

Thank you. Guess I will have to wait until they put it out to the flock. Don't know a Virtual Box
or VMware Player from a hole in the ground.

It works something like this.......
Let's say you have a computer running Windows 8 and you want to try out the Windows 10 Technical Preview.
So, you install say, VMware Player, and then you install Win 10 into it.
Now, your computer has 2 operating systems, (OS)......... Win 8 and Win 10 Technical Preview.
Your Win 8 is your "host" OS running in your "real" computer, and your Win 10 is your "guest" OS running in VMware Player.
Whatever happens to your guest os will not affect your host os. That way, you will be safe to test out a new operating system without the fear of damaging your computer. Worse comes to worst, you can just simply remove the guest os and that's the end of it.

Thank you. That was very clear and understandable. I was thinking of getting a Win 8 or 8.1 and hooking it up with "Classic
Shell" does that make any or good sense to do while waiting for Win 10? Need that Start Menu bad.

I use Start8 instead of Classic Shell.
Start8 costs $4.99 and it is my choice
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/download.asp
This is how Start Menu looks like on my Windows 8.1 Pro desktop. It looks and works exactly like a Windows 7.

Image 2.png

Just one thing.......
Windows 10 has the Start Menu back. Classic Shell or Start8 will become obsolete or redundant.

Hmmm, looks like I need to start looking for a new computer with a Win 8.1 OS.
I could live with that. Just saw your last post and when is the latest estimate for debut of Win 10?
I can afford 5 Dollars. LOL

PS Might like Start 8 or Classic Shell and just keep it.

Hmmm, looks like I need to start looking for a new computer with a Win 8.1 OS.
I could live with that. Thanks.

You are welcome.

As to your "lengthy original thread"......
Do you still have your real Windows 7 product key ? The NOT Professional product key ?

Yes I do. It is still on the bottom of the puter. As you may remember I re-installed my desktop recovery disks by mistake
onto my Toshiba laptop. My friend must not of considered I would need product key and rather than
bug him I tried to do something different.

Win 7 Home Premium = NOT Professional. That is caused by age, could not remember the words.

Last edited:
I am not aware of your Win 7 problem or where the thread locates.

Why don't you download your version of Win 7 ISO, burn it to a bootable installation DVD and then reinstall your Win 7 ?

Here is the Windows 7 ISO download link. It is absolutely legit. Scroll down to find your version of Win 7 and make sure you select the correct bit version.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Once you have the ISO downloaded, you can burn it to a bootable DVD.
Here is the tutorial on how to.....use part one.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...dvd-download-tool.html?filter[2]=General Tips

With that done, you can start reinstalling your Win 7 with your valid product key
Clean Install tutorial:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

Geeze, thanks I will give it a try. BBL

Tried to download digital-river but it only shows up for an instant and then I have a clear screen
Trying it on my desktop

Last edited:
I burned it. When it asked for a disc I put it in and apparently it is not what it wants. Spun it and kicked it out. getting late.
more tomorrow, will try a few other things like buy a new computer LOL ///////////////////gn

I burned it. When it asked for a disc I put it in and apparently it is not what it wants. Spun it and kicked it out. getting late.
more tomorrow, will try a few other things like buy a new computer LOL ///////////////////gn

I think you need to change the Bios boot order so that you can boot from your CD/DVD drive.
Go to your Toshiba Satellite Support forum and ask how to go to BIOS and change the boot order.
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=Satellite

If I am not mistaken, for Toshiba, you use F2 or ESC key to go to Bios.
Restart computer > immediately and repeatedly tap F2 key until you get to BIOS window.
From BIOS window you need to change boot order to CD/DVD drive.
I don't know the exact steps, that is why you need to ask the people in Toshiba support forum.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, I sure appreciate your help. I tried and did all of the above changed boot order etc. But,
it seems to want to keep coming up with the "Toshiba Recovery Wizard" regardless. Sometimes when I
go from the F2 to the F8 or 0 or F12, it will ask for discs and when I put any in, it does a short spin and
out they come. I did burn a 64 bit ISO, in fact I burned 2, the one you recommended and one that I
found. Your help has given me a wealth of information to better understand computers as I did not
have the opportunity to learn until I was way past school when computer came out. I plan to put this
job on the back burner and go get a new computer. Maybe when I come back to this problem I hope you
will be willing to again help me. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom