Windows 7 New Problem

I think I got it back from him like Sunday last. Don't know why he did not give me a product key or install it on the system.

The system started saying something like I have 3 days to go active and I assumed it was something about registering the OS. That is why I did what I did to get rid of the OS that was on my machine

...............The system started saying something like I have 3 days to go active............

That's it.
Your friend did not activate the Win 7 Pro. Why ?
The only reason is ............. your friend does not have a valid product key to activate.
That is also why he did not give you the product key. He can't.
When we say the copy is legit, we are actually saying the product key of the copy is valid.
One can install an operating system into a computer, but, in order to activate it, one needs to have a legal product key of that operating system. Failing that, the computer will stop working after a "grace" period.
Hence you received that message.

Sounds logical. Though I was not aware you could down load a OS and put a key in later. I have always
put the key in when I started up a new machine though I have only had maybe 3 machine.

I think he just wanted me to be able to get on line and install the right OS . My wifi needed to be hooked up or I could not do a damn thing. When I picked it up we did not speak, as he was not there and his wife gave me the computer.

.............. I was not aware you could down load a OS and put a key in later..............

Yes, one can do that.

By the way, I am reaching the limit of my computer knowledge.
I might have to step aside and let someone with better knowledge to take over.
So, when that time comes, don't think I am getting tired of your questions. OK ?

Right now, I have no idea how to help you re-installing Win 7 Home Premium.
I gave you what you need but you can proceed. Don't understand why.
Your Toshiba forum is less than helpful, to be sure.

Okay Dave thanks. Think I will cancel the order in the morning.
As you have, I too have spent more than enough time on this problem.

Was just thinking you may be right, same as how I messed it up, he may have messed it up even more for me.

Not totally familiar with the problem = this topic, there is a possibility that the OS is legitimate. Microsoft is the place to check, phone is easiest.

OS discs don't necessarily come with holograms or such IDs, like mine are not, since they are directly downloaded and burnt. But mine are legal, came with 20 optional legitimate downloads, if I remember correctly.

The thing is, an OS disc may be legal, but the product key is lost... you know how many papers I have lost? You could give it a shot. Anyways, best of all. :clover:

Well, like I said I ordered the disks from Toshiba and while I am waiting for them to arrive, I also started the process of deleting
my hard drive which is going to take approx. 2 hours and 7 minutes. Either the disks work or I will be junking the computer.

Okay a little update. After deleting my hard drive, I then downloaded X17 24208.ISO and everything was going on
very nicely until it requested my product key. After entering it, it came back and said it was not correct, double checked
for a typo and it was correct but, Win7 64 bit did not accept it. Will I have the same problem with the disks I purchased
from Toshiba?

I would say, most probably. Or inevitably.

Unless you suddenly find a sticker attached to your computer, with your product key, the game is out. A knowing computer service might be able to help you, because they can find all the info about the computer hardware, and communicate with Microsoft. But still, most probably, you need to purchase a new OS.

Not a nice thing to say but, willingly or unwillingly your friend seems to have fooled you.

Pauli, I downloaded from the internet the X17 24208.iso which I was told is the Win 7 64 bit Home Premium for my laptop. Then I turned my computer over and I input the product key that was on the computer when I bought it new. So when I tried to install the Apps that I had copied in the beginning, They were rejected as not compatible. I am doing nothing illegal, just trying to get it going. I have tried the things that people on here told me to try including the X17 iso. Guess I will have to wait until I get the discs from Toshiba.

Since I have installed what turns out to be a junk X17 iso should I again delete my hard drive and start over when I get the disks??? I am a little bit confused I thought the OS is the Win 7 64 Bit, what is it I I will be getting from Toshiba on the disks?

Last edited:
Wilhelm,
First of all.......
X17 24208.iso is for 32-bit
X17 24209.iso is for 64-bit.
You had downloaded the wrong bit version.
Read this link again :
http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

Secondly.......
What's wrong with the link I gave you ?
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/
The reason I gave you that link is because......
The latest version of Windows 7 DVD image available is of media refresh version, which commonly known as Windows 7 SP1-U (Media Refresh). Microsoft released the media refresh version of Windows 7 DVD media to fix a rare bug related to invalid computer name when small set of computer names returned error when used to install Windows 7. Otherwise, the Windows 7 with SP1 and Windows 7 with SP1-U (Media Refresh) is completely the same.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1-U ISO
English x86: X17-58996.iso .................x86 means 32-bit
English x64: X17-58997.iso ................ x64 means 64-bit

You are right Dave, I mistook the x86 to mean it was bigger and better than X64. Me Bad Sorry. See what
you get when you try to "Lead a Jackass to Water"

Dave, don't think I don't appreciate all the help you have given me. I have learned a lot. Frustrating for me when
I don't know squat.

Dave, I have a working Computer. I have been messing with it all day and finally I am in business. Thanks for all your
help. .

Last edited:
Dave, I have a working Computer. I have been messing with it all day and finally I am in business. Thanks for all your
help. .

Very Good !
Now, learn how to do System Image Backup.
I do that regularly, about once a week. It saved my computer at least twice.

System Image backup is very much like system restore. It does a mirror-image of the system at the time you run the image backup.
When you have serious issues with the computer and unable o resolve, you can run the system image backup to restore to working condition.

***** you should buy an external hard drive for image backup. 500GB to 1TB capacity will do just fine.
Using dvds is not recommended.
Never do the image backup within the computer.*****

Here is a tutorial :
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/663-backup-complete-computer-create-image-backup.html

Back