Windows 8 new WAN

Jimbo22

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
I just checked in my device manager and found and new device installed that I didn't install. It's a WAN miniport (Network Monitor) #2, which has the yellow triangle and exclamation point in it. Windows can't laod drivers required for this device. (code31)

I don't have any wireless hardware on my PC. This was installed on 5/15 and I believe it came with the last the 8 auto updates (18 of them I think) because the dates match. It wont update through device manager, it wont uninstall.

Any body else with this problem...generally I'm pretty good a tracking stuff like this down...not this time.

There is a very detailed post that explains how to uninstall WAN miniports. It 's a bit lengthy but very doable. Link

Thanks for the link. Followed instructions in link but when it comes to step 4, MAC Bridge miniport is not listed and can not proceed from there.

Here's another semi related article that describes how to remove it. So far, that's all I've been able to find. Link

Will it allow you to disable the miniport and then try to uninstall it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried that...no go. So for now it's disabled. I just wonder where the hell it came from, since I don't have anything wireless on my PC or blue tooth for that matter. Not even on the mobo...just showed up after last batch of MS updates.

If that particular update was only for that driver, you could always uninstall that update article id number. I had to uninstall a update from MS on my Windows 7 system a while back because of some security breach associated with that specific update.

I tried looking for it in the MS update history, but there is no way to tell which update pertains to that bogus driver. They all seem to be system related.

It seems that you’re not the only one that’s getting the wan miniport disabled error. Over the last few days reports are starting to grow of users with the same problem. I've read about it on a couple of forums. The update that causes this is KB2836988 .

Unfortunately you can’t get rid of the error by just uninstalling it. You will have to rollback updates just prior to May. Then install all of the updates over again, while “hiding” Update KB2836988. For more info click here

Back
Top Bottom