Newbie Question about install and what might be lost

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by SilverLily, Oct 31, 2010.

1. SilverLily

SilverLily New Member

Hi,
    I am preparing to upgrade from XP Pro to W7, and understand I will have to do a clean install and re-install a ton of other software. I have gathered as many discs and product keys and download links as I can find.
    My question, likely stupid - forgive me, does this also apply to the casual games for my nieces and nephews that I installed from CDs? I mailed a few of them to someone else, should I ask for them to be mailed back...?

2. cybercore

cybercore New Member

You will have to reinstall your software, but you needn't reinstall the games if they are on a partition different from the one where you're going to install Windows 7. Backup their profiles (typically found in My Documents). Just run the games and most of them should work. : )

3. SilverLily

SilverLily New Member

Thank you for your reply; it was both prompt and helpful. Refreshing. I am now reading up on how to partition a hard drive, but if I understand it correctly it means I'll maintain my old XP Pro OS after I "clean install" W7? (Did I mention I'm a newbie?) I am actually getting a huge software pack dirt cheap from my employer (a university) under their faculty/staff share agreement:
    Office 2010 Professional for Windows (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, Publisher and InfoPath)
    Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit and 64-bit)
    Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection
    So I am also upgrading my RAM, should I put new memory sticks in before I do W7 or after?
    Again, thanks for the advice, it helps.

4. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Please take the time to download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor it may provide some additional insight as to what you may need to consider for the upgrade.

5. SilverLily

SilverLily New Member

Thanks I have done the advisor, and it said my 1GB was sufficient, but I am going to 4GB for improved speed.
    thanks again