Windows 7 NIC card Windows 7 default drivers question

grindy

Hi,
Older system, upgraded from XP to Windows 7 (32bit) a while back - has been working fine. Have been having issues with internet "dropping out" fairly regularly. ISP says problem on my end, so decided to install a new NIC. Disabled onboard NIC and pop'd in new PCI NIC.

Windows 7 sees the new card, installs it as Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, but says it can't start (yellow exclamation in Device Mgr).

Removed this NIC and installed 2nd new NIC (different mfg.). Windows sees this one, installs it as Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, but says it can't start (yellow exclamation in Device Mgr).

The 2 new NIC cards are:
Zonet ZEN3200 and Rosewill RC-402. Zonet's site lists the ZEN3200 as Windows 7 compatible.

So... was thinking that maybe Windows 7's generic (Realtek) drivers were corrupt. Found driver on Zonet's site for the card (Windows 7 32bit) and tried it, but Windows 7 tells me that the driver I have is "newer" and keeps it. Tried forcing it to the new driver, but it still tells me that it won't start.

Ran sfc /scannow, and it says all is fine - no fix.

I'm at a loss now... Is it "normal" for Windows 7 to see these very "generic" NIC's as the Realtek card? Ie, is this the "normal" driver that Windows 7 installs for plain jane NIC's such as these?

Suggestions please....:confused:

Back