No audio on windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by flc123, Nov 6, 2009.

1. flc123

flc123 New Member

Hi,

I recently upgraded from XP to windows 7, and I can't get any sound. My build is as follows:

Motherboard: Maximus II Formula (Republic of Gamers)
    Intel Core 2 Quad 3.00gHz
    ATI radeon 4870 X2

The volume control icon on the bottom right corner of the taskbar says "no audio output device enabled". When I go into volume control options, it shows no sound devices; I should add that there was a "ATI HD definition" or something along the lines of that with an icon before, but after hours of trying to get it work, it dissapeared now :S. No clue what i can do.

Thanks in advance.

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

The high definition audio device you can see is actually on your graphics card and turning it off will give more performance..
    If you see the screenie you'll see I found drivers for 64bit 7 (if your running 32bit you'll have to change it) the link is here:

Welcome to Republic Of Gamers?

3. flc123

flc123 New Member

hi, thanks for the reply. I just got home today, and found out I couldn't boot windows, so I had to boot from CD and reformatted everything. I tried running that audio drive from the site that you linked. When I run it, it reads:

Installation failed!

The audio driver files do not support your computer hardware. Note: If you uninstalled audio software without restarting your PC, restart now, then run this setup again.

Note that this was from a clean reformat, and the first thing I did was download winrar and opened the soundMAX audio drive files from the indicated site.

4. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Try running them in compatibility mode...