Windows 7 No Internet Access - Continually Identifying Active Networks.

Jolly181

Hi All...

Hoping that someone can help with this problem that started for me yesterday..!!

All AM time I was logged in and surfing the internet going to all the usual pages Etc..

Lunch time comes, so I decide to go downstairs and eat and so, while making lunch I decided that my laptop needeed a reboot as it had been on for the last few days with a refresh.!!

Anyway, when I came back upstairs I was no longer able to access the internet all.??

My Belkin N1 Wireless Modem Router was till showing that the computer was connected to the Modem router which was connected to the ADSL which in turn was connected to the Internet.!!!!

I even tried/enabled both Wired and Wireless and both showed as connected on the router.!!

When I went to "Network & Sharing Center" I was seeing the following:

Computer (JOLLY-PC) ========Identifying ===X=== Internet

"view your Active Networks"

IDENTIFYING Access Type: No INternet Access
Connections: Local Area Connection

Laptop Details:

Computer JOLLY-PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7600

[Summary]-------------------------------

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x86-based PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
OS Service Pack -
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385
DirectX DirectX 11.0
Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T9400, 2666 MHz (10 x 267)
Motherboard Name Toshiba Satellite Pro P300
Motherboard Chipset Intel Cantiga PM45
System Memory 3066 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (11/07/08)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (512 MB)
Video Adapter ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (512 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (M86)
Monitor Samsung LTN170X2-L02 [17" LCD]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV635 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter Conexant Cx20561 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-3]

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller
Storage Controller O2Micro Integrated MS/MSPRO/xD Controller
Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD500LJ USB Device (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Disk Drive TOSHIBA MK3252GSX ATA Device (320 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA-II)
Disk Drive TOSHIBA MK3252GSX ATA Device (320 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA-II)
Disk Drive Verbatim STORE N GO USB Device (7 GB, USB)
Disk Drive WD 10EAVS External USB Device (931 GB, USB)
Disk Drive EPSON Stylus Storage USB Device
Optical Drive PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTD08A ATA Device
Optical Drive TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q USB Device (DVD+R9:16x, DVD-R9:12x, DVD+RW:22x/8x, DVD-RW:22x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Network:
Primary IP Address 169.254.162.75
Primary MAC Address 00-23-8B-3C-6A-3A
Network Adapter Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Network Adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8072 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (169.254.162.75)
Network Adapter Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2
Modem HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Modem PC Connectivity Bluetooth Modem
Modem Standard 33600 bps Modem
Modem Standard 33600 bps Modem #2

DMI:
DMI BIOS Vendor TOSHIBA
DMI BIOS Version V2.40
DMI System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
DMI System Product Satellite Pro P300
DMI System Version PSPCDA-00L00D

DMI Motherboard Manufacturer TOSHIBA
DMI Motherboard Product Satellite Pro P300
DMI Motherboard Version Not Applicable
DMI Motherboard Serial Number Y8084996W
DMI Chassis Manufacturer TOSHIBA
DMI Chassis Version N/A
DMI Chassis Serial Number None
DMI Chassis Asset Tag No Asset Tag
DMI Chassis Type Notebook

I even ran

NETSH INT IP RESET resetlog.txt to try to reset the TCP/IP parameters to no avail

Two error msg I am getting are:

THIS COMPUTER CAN'T CONNECT TO A HOMEGROUP

&

WINDOWS COULD NOT SET THE NETWORK LOCATION

Please help me try to figure out what has happened.??

To me it looks like the HOMEGROUP has disappeared and/or may be set to PUBLIC but I don't know how or what I should do to get it to be HOME.???

I am running Bitdefender Total Security as my Firewall/Anti-Virus software and even disabling that does not resolve the issue. I have also made sure that the Local Area Connection is in a "SAFE" zone under BitDefender.!!

I look forward to each and every comment/suggestion that you can come up with.!!

Regards

Julius

Hi.

This shouldn't be too difficult to fix as there are quite a few network expert members here.

For now, I'd like you to open an elevated command prompt. Copy and paste these lines one at a time, then hit enter after each one while doing so.
Code:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Code:
netsh winsock reset
Reboot both the router itself and the laptop too. Test your connection in Internet Explorer or your other favorite browser of choice.

Please let us know how this turns out for you so other suggestions by members can be made, if necessary.

Hi TorrentG..

Thanks for the assistance.. I followed your instructions and the responses are below in RED
Hi.

This shouldn't be too difficult to fix as there are quite a few network expert members here.

For now, I'd like you to open an elevated command prompt. Copy and paste these lines one at a time, then hit enter after each one while doing so.
Code:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Resetting Global, OK!
Resetting Interface, OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.

Code:
netsh winsock reset

Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog

Reboot both the router itself and the laptop too.

Both Computer & router were rebooted

Test your connection in Internet Explorer or your other favorite browser of choice.

Still showing as Currently Connected to:
Identifying...
No Internet Access

Please let us know how this turns out for you so other suggestions by members can be made, if necessary.

P.S. Still also unable to see the router via the browser ???

Regards

Jolly181:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Is it possible that an update and or subsequent restart, was pending and the rebooting of the laptop may have completed the update which may have included a driver update for either or both of your network adapters. If so open device manager, expand the network adapters, select and right click each one at a time and choose properties, then look under the driver tab and see if you have an option to roll back the drivers.
Failing this, possibly a system restore to a restore point prior to the reboot may work for you.
You may need to start out with some basics, perhaps disable the wireless and concentrate on the wired connection. Use a command prompt and type ipconfig /all
see what type of ip addressing information your adapter is getting from your network's DHCP server. Copy and paste it into your next post and we'll have a look.

Hi Trouble...

Thanks for responding and to answer your questions:

I had disabled automatic updates and I don't remember allowing any new driver updates that I can remember.?
I had looked at Driver properties quite a few times and again don't remember seeing an option to Roll-back.!

Normally I only have the wired adapter running, but to test that both were in actual fct talking to the router I enabled the Wi-Fi

I actually went to Device Manager a few times as well and uninstalled both adapters and then scanned for hardware changes just to see if there were any issues there as well.. and both adapters were discovered and drivers installed correctly once again. having siad that I also did not delete the drivers for the adapters when uninstalling as I would not have been abale to get back out on the internet to download them again.!!

After a few nights of non sleep and thinking of different scenario's I decided to roll-back to a restore point just prior to that lunch break, but when I went to find one, guess what, I had not enabled resotore points and so had none.!!

Finally late yesterday, I decided that a new installtion would have to be the case and so having done that (Windows installation kept my old system in WINDOWS.OLD) I am now up and running with a fresh system that is now connected (FINALLY) to the internet and I am joined to a HOME Network.

Although I am up and running, my frustration is still that I do not know what caused the problem and may never know.!!

BUt thanks again to your guys for trying to help, but after 4 days of no access I had to bite the bullet.!!

Look forward to working with you all in the future.

Regards

Julius

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue, although I'm sorry to hear that such a drastic step was necessary. I'm going to assume that you tried all the interim stuff, like a repair from the DVD media and or an inplace upgrade/repair and had no luck.
I can certainly understand the frustration and am also wondering what might have caused the problem in the first place. Well, I guess, experience is usually the best teacher, so I hope you have configured the System Restore Utility as well as setup a good backup plan and it sounds like you probably already know to watch out for Windows Update and hardware driver updates.
So again thanks for the follow-up and hope to continue to see you around the forums.
Randy

Hi Randy..

You are correct.. I did try all the Interim stuff before making the decision and YES I DID enable System Restore.!!

Interestingly enough, this morning Windows told me that there were some system updates that needed to be installed (57 Important Updates & 36 Optional) so as this was a fresh install I decided to install them all.. Guess what happened after the system rebooted..... YES you guessed it, I no longer had Internet Connection.!!
System Updates 1.pngSystem Updates 2.png
I immediately restored back prior to the System Updates and I was back online again...!!!!!!!!!!

Something in the updates must be causing this, but I cannot see any updates that look like they would affect the network.???

Hmmm Stranger & Stranger..!!

Regards

Julius

First, after the clean install, did you manage to get device manager cleaned up with no indications of missing or problematic drivers or devices.
Maybe try them (the updates) in batches.
Try the two obvious driver updates first if you think you actually need them the one for the soft modem and the one for the biometric security device gizmo. Reboot whether prompted or not. See if either produce a problem.
The office updates of course shouldn't be an issue. Then just divide the rest in groups, rebooting each time, again whether prompt or not.
Nothing there that is obvious to me, and if as you say this was a clean install, then I wouldn't suspect any conflicts with other software, so keep us posted as to how you are progressing, I would be very interested in the actual culprit if you are successful in identifying it.

I would download the latest driver for the network adapter with issues from the manufacturer's website, to have it ready on the hard drive to install at any time.

Re-install all updates available through Windows Update.

Reboot and you will have your problem returned.

Install the latest driver you downloaded, now. You'll have all the updates installed and a working connection when it's all done.

Type systeminfo in a command prompt then hit enter if you don't know exactly which driver to look for.

Last edited:
Hi All...

Interestingly yesterday once I reloaded and installed the Windows Updates and then to find my problem return, I restored back prior to these updates as I stated and had my system again. I then left the updates and proceeded to continue to re-install my applications Etc.

I then installed Bluetooth Stack for Toshiba laptops downloaded from the Toshiba website... Rebooted and came back up with no Network.!!

System restore again.. Network once again...

I will download the latest drivers for both LAN and Wi-Fi and let you know the outcome.!!

Regards

Hi All...

UPDATE CENTRAL....

I downloaded and updated both the Wi-Fi & LAN Adapter drivers and this morning I have successfully installed round 1 of Windows Updates and I still have an Internet connection.

I will give the system a breather before doing Round 2 of Windows Updates (3 Important & 34 Optional)..

WIll let you know the outcome shortly.!!

Regards

I WOULD LIKE TO FORCE REMOVE PASSWORD AND WI-FI Encryption off of the virtual wireless network is there some type of patch or hack i can do this for some reason Microsoft is forcing you to put a password on the network as if we're unable to think for ourselves and they know best.

Hi All...

UPDATE CENTRAL....

I downloaded and updated both the Wi-Fi & LAN Adapter drivers and this morning I have successfully installed round 1 of Windows Updates and I still have an Internet connection.

I will give the system a breather before doing Round 2 of Windows Updates (3 Important & 34 Optional)..

WIll let you know the outcome shortly.!!

Regards

Hi All..

Just to let you know, I have successfully loaded all Windows updates and my system has been running "correctly" for a while now.!!!

I still do not know what caused the network to continually Verify itself, but I am glad that I am able to get access out.!!

I have installed Driver Genius to keep an eye on my non-Microsoft Drivers and keep them updated constantly.!

Thanks again for all the help during my bad times.!!

Regards

Back