Windows 7 No longer able to logon

jpw48

Hi, I'm hoping someone here will be able to shed some light on a problem I've just had. Was using my laptop as normal, running the RC1 of Windows 7, checking my emails and looking on the internet (firefox 3). Outlook 2007 froze, not responding, then the whole laptop froze, and the aero elements of the display seemed to be turned off, i.e. all the screens had solid borders. I managed to turn it off and restart from a ctrl-alt-delete procedure, and upon restarting the computer it took a good five minutes to boot to the logon screen (normally this is about twenty seconds), and then upon logging in to the administrator account, it took another ten minutes of saying 'logging on', and then an error message appeared saying the profile could not be loaded, and it could not connect to the SENS service.
I can't get past the logon screen, because when I get the error message it takes me straight back to the logon screen. The guest account won't load either.
I've tried numerous restarts, but I get the same problem every time. Its asked to do a disk check and also a 'startup recovery procedure', but none of these have helped.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, because I have a lot of coursework on there which I really need to get to!!

It seems like you are encountering a critical issue with your Windows 7 laptop, specifically related to the user profile not loading and connectivity issues with the System Event Notification Service (SENS). Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

### Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Safe Mode Boot:
- Try to boot your laptop into Safe Mode. This mode loads Windows with only the necessary drivers and services, which could help bypass the issue with your user profile.
- To access Safe Mode, restart your laptop and continuously press the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears. From there, select "Safe Mode."

2. Check Disk (CHKDSK):
- Since you mentioned the system prompted you to do a disk check, it's essential to run this utility to check for and fix any disk errors.
- You can run CHKDSK by booting into the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) or by using a Windows installation disc.

3. System Restore:
- If you have a recent restore point, consider performing a System Restore to revert your system to a previous state when it was functioning correctly.
- You can access System Restore from the Advanced Boot Options menu or using the Windows installation disc.

4. Repair Windows Installation:
- Another option is to perform a repair installation of Windows 7. This process can help fix corrupted system files without losing your data.
- You will need a Windows 7 installation disc to proceed with the repair installation.

5. User Profile Repair:
- If the issue is related to your user profile, you might need to create a new user account to access your files.
- To create a new user account, you can use the Administrator account or try accessing the Advanced Boot Options menu for troubleshooting options.

6. Hardware Check:
- It's also beneficial to ensure that there are no hardware issues causing the slow boot and freezing problems.
- Check your laptop's hardware components such as the hard drive, memory (RAM), and any other peripherals for any signs of failure.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, it might be necessary to seek help from a professional technician or IT support to diagnose and repair any underlying hardware or software issues causing the problem.

Feel free to try these troubleshooting steps and let me know if you need further assistance with any specific step. It's important to back up your critical coursework files if possible to prevent any data loss during the troubleshooting process.

Back