Windows 7 No Printer Spooler Service?

DekHog

Extraordinary Member
A friend has a netbook with Win 7 on it, and asked me to have a look at it as he couldn't install his printer - No printer spooler service is installed? I've never seen this before, and don't think there's any way of adding it as it should install during Windows installation. Does anyone have any ideas, as it's impossible to install any printer without this service being present?

TIA

Is it simply disabled in services? Which version is this Basic or Hom premium?
Joe

I've never seen this before, and don't think there's any way of adding it as it should install during Windows installation. Does anyone have any ideas, as it's impossible to install any printer without this service being present?
TIA
Actually I haven't either. Open control panel and then the programs and features applet. From the left column select "Turn Windows features on or off." Scroll as needed to the Print and Document Services feature set and make sure that you have it select which should default to also check the Internet Printing Client Box as well as the Windows Fax and Scan Box.
Failing that my first suggestion would be to run the System File Checker
From an elevated command prompt type
sfc /scannow
see if that produces any information.
Did it ever work? If so you might try a system restore but I wouldn't hold out much hope there if someone or something actually deleted the service.
Other than that?
An inplace upgrade/repair might do the trick
How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums
Otherwise a clean custom install, unless it's new and then he should just take it back and exchange it (back it up and wipe it first)

Is it simply disabled in services? Which version is this Basic or Hom premium?
Joe

No, it simply doesn't exist in services, and trying to install any printer or printer driver halts with an error due it not being there. It's Win 7 Home Prem......

Thanks, Trouble, I'll give your options a try when I see it again tomorrow - it's not new, but has never had a printer installed, so this has just come to light.... I don't think there's much on it in the way of data/software, so a reinstall wouldn't be too much hassle, but was really just curious as to if anyone else had come across it before, as a Google turned up nothing....

You bet. Keep us posted.
Double check here C:\Windows\System32 for these two files
spoolss.dll mine is dated 7/13/2009 (yours may vary)
spoolsv.exe mine is dated 11/20/2010 (yours may vary)
You may also want to check the registry here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Spooler
probably should look something like mine, although I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, so maybe not exactly. See attachment.

EDIT: I am not suggesting that you edit the registry, just take a look and see if the key is even there and then perhaps examine the values and compare. But I need to put in my standard disclaimer whenever I mention the registry editor.
Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

Last edited:
You can also start msconfig.exe and look at the Services tab and see if the Print Spooler service is checked.

Unless I have missed the entire premise of this thread, I believe that the OP has reported that there is no print spooler service to stop, start or disable and that it simply does not exist at all in any state on his friends netbook system like someone or something used a command prompt and deleted it like
sc delete spooler
so it seems to be gone completely.

Back
Top Bottom