Windows 7 No Sound After Windows 7 Upgrade on Dell Vostro 1400

jellegood

I am currently running Windows 7 32-bit on a Dell Vostro 1400. I upgraded from Vista Pro. After upgrading, I too have had the joy of not being able to have any sound come out of my speakers. If I plug headphones into the headphone jack I can hear sound. If I click the volume icon on my desktop while sound is playing, the green line does come up on the volume control telling me that sound is being played.

I have tried several suggestions read about on other forums. I have re-installed Windows 7 again (the initial install and re-install were both clean installs). Any of the automatic driver checks I can do with Windows 7 tells me my sound drivers are working fine or are the most up-to-date drivers I can have.

I have heard others say they have been able to go to their sound card manufacturer's website and download Win 7 drivers. I'm not sure who my manufacturer is. When I go into device manager, under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers" all I see is a generic "High Definition Audio Device" label mentioned. I have manually uninstalled this and then had Win 7 check for hardware change and re-install the new driver but it didn't change anything. Any suggestions for how to find the manufacturer of my sound card?

I've had a few IT people look at it and none of them have been able to figure it out.

Also, I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but I'll put it out there as well-In Device Manager under "Other Devices" is listed two other items that both have yellow warning signs on them. Both selections say "Base System Device". I have not been able to do any updating to these devices (whatever they are).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This link will take you through to your sound driver from the Dell site. :

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Once we've dealt with that we can then move on to your other issues...

Thanks for your help. Problem was solved yesterday after someone else on another forum suggested I try downloading driver for Vista. I did and it worked. Thanks...

Back