Windows 7 No sound from External speakers (have sound from internal speaker)

pRey

I have them plugged in same as usual.
They worked before.
I can bring the cord around to the front headphone jack and they work.

Realtek

Your driver has set by default your internal speaker as main peripheral.
And the reason why when you plug it to the front jack it does work, it's because it has priority over the jack behind (all drivers, or most of them work that way).
To do this you got to go in your Audio advanced settings, and change the peripheral by default to your external speak, you must know its name to choose the good one.

Good Luck

Try under Sounds in the Control Panel. Might have to poke around a bit, I'm not sure exactly where it would be in there.

I got the same problem as well, exept i get sound in my external speakers as well as my internal ones. I know it is not the hardware since sound works fine on windows xp. i am using the built in sound card of my motherboard. and i am using the Realtek AC'97 Audio Driver

Your driver has set by default your internal speaker as main peripheral.
And the reason why when you plug it to the front jack it does work, it's because it has priority over the jack behind (all drivers, or most of them work that way).
To do this you got to go in your Audio advanced settings, and change the peripheral by default to your external speak, you must know its name to choose the good one.

Good Luck
Have the same issue, even after changing the default to the speakers there's still no sound, also have tried headphones and still no sound, I can see the level bars lighting up though. very frustrating .

Last edited:
  • Right click on the sound icon and select "Playback Devices" (1)
  • Playback tab (2)
  • Make sure you have the correct device as your default device (3) the external speakers / realtek
  • If it's not set correctly, right click the correct device and select "Default Device"
sound.png

• Right click on the sound icon and select "Playback Devices" (1)
  • Playback tab (2)
  • Make sure you have the correct device as your default device (3) the external speakers / realtek
  • If it's not set correctly, right click the correct device and select "Default Device"
View attachment 32363
Thanks, I have tried all that. I should mention that the sound from the external devices disappeared after fresh Win 8.1 re-install, before that it was fine.

But do you have the correct driver installed? Also if you have multiple devices in the playback section try the others set to default as you may have the wrong device selected.

update; maybe it will help someone with the same issue,

Installing Cirrus logic driver solved my no sound problem, :bee:

Hi holdum,

Very nice POST #11, on the Microsoft Sound problem troubleshooter.:ohyea: I've seen pieces of this one before, but not the whole thing including the Sound Troubleshooter applet.

I've bookmarked into my Favorites for future reference (and "lazy-link" posts!).

BBJ :tongue_smile:

@BIGBEARJEDI Thanks for your reply friend!! Yes I'm a little lazy on my replies some times. Seems like I can always find someone on the web that explains things much better than I can. I thought the sound link covered it all.;):)
I guess you could call me a lazy Google Tech. If you've had a problem, it's almost 100% sure that someone else has had the problem, and you can find some thing on Google:rofl:Hey Marc click on my Google signature!:rofl:

Back