Windows 7 No speaker device on new Win7 install

Hearfruit

I've read a lot of threads on this forum already by people who've had similar problems to this, but frustratingly enough none of the solutions that helped them seem to have fixed my issue.

I have a new install of Windows 7 (OEM Home Premium). The PC formally was used for Windows XP. The hard drive became corrupted and I figured if I was going to replace the HD anyways, I may as well upgrade to Windows 7. Under XP I had no issues with the on board sound card.

The install went very smoothly except for the sound.

The Playback Devices screen only lists Digital Audio (HDMI) and Digital Audio (S/PDIF) as possible devices. I'm trying to enable ordinary speakers.

I downloaded the Win7 version of the the ATI Hight Def Audio Device drivers (I was using the XP version before the corruption issue). They appear to install fine but after the reboot, there is no sign of the drivers anywhere.

Any new directions to investigate or suggestions as to the cause would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to the forums :)
Could you post some information about your system specs? Specifically the make/model of your audio card? That would be a great help. :D

How about telling us what audio device/card you are talking about and what's your system board? Sounds like you have a compatibility issue.

you have installed the proper 7 driver for this sound card?

Board: Asus P5L-MX
Processor: Intel(R) Core2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00 GHz

I believe there are two audio devices
Asus 82801G (ICH7) High Definition Audio
PC Partner R700 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series]

On my xp install I had two drivers installed
ATI High Definition Audio Device
SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio

I've tried to install a Win 7 version of the ATI High Definition Audio Device but with no success. I've been unable to find a Win 7 version SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio.

I hope thats enough information. I'm a better software developer then I am a systems administrator.

Hello guys i am new to this forum and i hope i ger something good from it

I have the followin problem..I use a HP dv6-2030ev model laptop and one day my mic decided it has to stop working..So i install the recent desiganated drivers..Then i try to access my nvidia vga panel but i cant...so i update it too...In those drivers were the sound drivers too so i did install em too..And in a few hours my inbuilt speaker stops working out of the blue.I moved the mouse over the speaker icon on bottom right corner and its says "no speakers or headphones connected".I have tried everything but nothin seems to work..Guys i would seriously appriciate any kind of help because i need this for my work.

Thx in advance

Hello guys i am new to this forum and i hope i ger something good from it

I have the followin problem..I use a HP dv6-2030ev model laptop and one day my mic decided it has to stop working..So i install the recent desiganated drivers..Then i try to access my nvidia vga panel but i cant...so i update it too...In those drivers were the sound drivers too so i did install em too..And in a few hours my inbuilt speaker stops working out of the blue.I moved the mouse over the speaker icon on bottom right corner and its says "no speakers or headphones connected".I have tried everything but nothin seems to work..Guys i would seriously appriciate any kind of help because i need this for my work.

Thx in advance
Edeira, welcome to the forum!

It probably would have been best for you to create your own thread, to attract more answers. This thread is quite old. But I'll try to help anyway. Sounds as though you've had a lot of bad issues happen all at once.

Have you updated any drivers lately? If so, there's a rollback function in your Device Manager to revert to the previous driver. That may help. Have you messed with any of those free "cleanup" utilities that claims to "fix" everything? These have huge potential to do serious damage. Have you done a full virus/malware scan with your choice of AV software?

There's a chance that you may have to re-install your OS to get it back to factory settings, usually on a HP, you press & hold "F11" at startup to get the re-install process going. It takes 20 to 30 minutes to re-install, then you'll have to update Windows, remove any pre-installed crapware from the computer, & install your favorite apps. This, after the initial re-install, can take some time.

There are a couple of other options, System Restore & a restore from a backup, if you have that on hand. Backing up your computer when it's running good solves a lot of issues down the road.

Try System Restore first, go back as far as it'll allow, if needed. Short of a re-install (unless you have a backup on hand), this may be your best option.

Post back if you have problems.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Edeira, welcome to the forum!

It probably would have been best for you to create your own thread, to attract more answers. This thread is quite old. But I'll try to help anyway. Sounds as though you've had a lot of bad issues happen all at once.

Have you updated any drivers lately? If so, there's a rollback function in your Device Manager to revert to the previous driver. That may help. Have you messed with any of those free "cleanup" utilities that claims to "fix" everything? These have huge potential to do serious damage. Have you done a full virus/malware scan with your choice of AV software?

There's a chance that you may have to re-install your OS to get it back to factory settings, usually on a HP, you press & hold "F11" at startup to get the re-install process going. It takes 20 to 30 minutes to re-install, then you'll have to update Windows, remove any pre-installed crapware from the computer, & install your favorite apps. This, after the initial re-install, can take some time.

There are a couple of other options, System Restore & a restore from a backup, if you have that on hand. Backing up your computer when it's running good solves a lot of issues down the road.

Try System Restore first, go back as far as it'll allow, if needed. Short of a re-install (unless you have a backup on hand), this may be your best option.

Post back if you have problems.

Best of Luck,
Cat
Thank you for welcoming me to your forum i already feel better although i still have no sound..I have tried everything u mentioned but still nothing happens its as if my soundcard got toasted somehow after the vga drivers intalled...I guess the only option i have left is to format hard drive and install OS from the begining.

Thank you

You're quite welcome. Hopefully you'll get your sound back after a re-install or fresh install, whichever you choose.

Many HP computers has the re-install function built in, at startup, press & hold "F11". If it's not that key, refer to your manual. This would at least get your computer to working properly again.

I'm still trying to figure out how a vga update somehow messed up the sound. Unless I have a video issue, I leave those drivers alone, but update my video card as soon as a new update is available.

Cat

Hey guys, i got the exact same problem, since a while ago...

Here's my sys spec (older pc with some upgrades)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M68SM-S2L
CPU: AMD Athlon LE-1600 2.36GHz
GPU: ATI Radeon 4600 HD 1gb
RAM: 1GB

I got a sound-card mounted on my Motherboard which doesn't function, and i got another one installed lately to try to fix the problem, but it won't recognize it.

Here's what it says: High Def. Audio Device, Not plugged in (???)
Chip: ATI Technologies R700 Audio Device (Radeon HD 4000 Series) (I think this is the one mounted on the Motherboard)

2nd one:

@system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys,#1025;Multimedia Audio Controller (UNKNOWN DEVICE)
Chip Vendor: Creative Labs
Chip: SBLive! (0EM'd For Dell??)
@system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys,#2432;PCI Input Device (UNKNOWN DEVICE)
Chip Vendor: Creative Labs
Chip: SBLive! Value Gameport

A tip: The main Soundcard works SOMETIMES, in RARE occasions... You never know when it gets on.... And when it gets on and recognizes it, i tend not to shut down the PC for some time, as i need sound for my work.

Hope you'll fix my problem soon... Cheers

Back