Windows 7 No support for Aero

arkazain

When I installed Win7, the first thing I noticed was that aero wasn't on. Thinking that I might have to change theme, I did that, but that didn't work, so I ran the check for errors in the personalize panel and it said that my Graphics card wasn't compatible with WDDM.

I don't get it. Aero worked fine on my Vista and Upgrade advisor said that aero would work if I changed to Win7 64-bit(previously, I had Vista 32-bit).

Compare these:
CPU-Z Validator 3.1 <-Vista

CPU-Z Validator 3.1 <-Win7

Note the GPU Type. On Vista, it's correct, but on Win7, it says that I have "Standard VGA-graphics card*"
The truth is, all I did was to install Win7, I didn't change the graphics card :(

While we're at it, look at the Freq. too, why did it go down so much?

Is this because I switched to 64-bit from 32-bit?

On a almost-related note, the serial code for Win7, CAN you only use it once or are you only ALLOWED to use it once? I mean, would the code work if I tried to install the 32-bit over the 64-bit? Would it work I installed it on another computer?

*bildskärmskort translates roughly to graphics card

Hi,

Go to the website of your Graphics card manufacturer and download/install the driver for your card. The key can be used for both versions but you cant install over a 64bit with 32bit and visa versa without doing a clean install of either version.

Basher

Hi,

Go to the website of your Graphics card manufacturer and download/install the driver for your card. The key can be used for both versions but you cant install over a 64bit with 32bit and visa versa without doing a clean install of either version.

Basher
Alright, then I have to check on nVidia, but how do I check what graphics card I have?
I don't know what to choose on "Product series" etc.

And I don't mind doing a clean install, but would it work if I:
.Installed 32-bit on my pc
.Afterwards, install it on another pc with the same serial?

Device Manager should tell you. Go to: Start - Control Panel - Hardware and sound - Device Manager - Display adapters. Also if you can't find it at Nvidia try Windows Update. There's probably an optional update for it. The one from Nvidia would probably be more up to date though. Try that first.

About the differences in readings, It's probably reading the standard VGA driver that windows installed for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom