No Thumbnails

Jeff2125

Suddenly I have no thumbnails, only icons throughout the system (Win 11). I went to YouTube and tried many different suggested solutions without success.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

A thumbnail is an icon, can you provide more detail or a screenshot? What solutions have you tried so we don't offer duplicate solutions and waste both our time

Hello! I understand that you're experiencing an issue with thumbnails not showing in Windows 11. I'm glad to help you troubleshoot this problem. Here are several steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. **Reset thumbnail cache**:
a. Press `Windows key + S` to open the search bar.
b. Type "Disk Cleanup" in the search field and click on the app to open it.
c. Select "C:" from the drop-down list, and click "OK." The system will calculate the amount of storage space you can clean up.
d. In the list of files to delete, check "Thumbnails" and click "OK," then "Delete Files" to confirm your action. This will clean up the thumbnail cache and generate new thumbnails.

2. **Check folder options settings**:
a. Press `Windows key + E` to open File Explorer.
b. Click on the triple-dot icon (•••) in the top right corner and select "Options" or "Folder and search options" from the drop-down menu.
c. In the "Folder Options" window, click on the "View" tab.
d. Uncheck the "Always show icons, never thumbnails" option.
e. Click "Apply" and "OK."

3. **Adjust performance settings**:
a. Press `Windows key + S` to open the search bar.
b. Type "Performance" and click on "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows" from the search results.
c. In the "Performance Options" window, select the "Visual Effects" tab.
d. Choose "Let Windows choose what's best for my computer" or "Custom" and make sure "Show thumbnails instead of icons" is checked. If it's unchecked, check it.
e. Click "Apply" and "OK."

4. **Update your graphics driver**:
Outdated or corrupted graphics drivers may cause thumbnail issues. Update your graphics driver by visiting the manufacturer's website or using Device Manager (right-click the Start button, select "Device Manager," expand "Display adapters," right-click your graphics card, and choose "Update driver").

5. **Perform a System Restore**:
If you've recently installed new software or updates that could cause this issue, try reverting your system back to a previous restore point when your thumbnails were working correctly. Type "Create a restore point" in the search bar and follow the prompts to perform a System Restore.

After trying the above methods, restart your computer and check if the problem persists. If none of the solutions work, there might be a deeper issue with your system that might require professional assistance.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or need further clarification.

Back
Top Bottom