Windows 7 NO UPdates????

gjbnh

Today Win 7 informed me I was running a pirated copy of Win 7 RC 7100.
IT IS NOT.
Following the link provided by the notification, I was informed that the product is not being sold yet.

Does this mean the RC will not get any updates until it is bought??? So much for free until 2010!

The RC is only a test version. It won't be good anyway as it won't have most of the features or stuff from the RTM. Try updating to a new build or reinstalling it. Im using build 7201 and no message like that comes up.

The RTM WON'T contain much more then the RC.. The RC is feature complete, meaning the RTM and Retail will only have minor bug fixes and MAYBE slight UI changes/modifications (though I doubt it).. but certainly nothing to get upset about.. ;)

I haven't received a message like that either and I'm currently running the RC (7100) on all of my pc's.. Odd.

No, the RC most likley won't receive any updates (besides the test updates it has already received) but as stated, it is only a test build.. and any updates would only be minor bug fixes.. So by not getting updates your not missing out on anything earth shattering.. ;)

These msgs started 2 wks after I installed. Windows was activated. MS says that they RC will die in 2010, and to avoid it dying, you must purchase a lisence, which seems to indicate that they expect you to be able to upgrade from RC to RTM. ( How can you purchase a lisence for a product not yet released???) Windows RC is now telling me that it isn't activated, and is NOT doing updates. Why is my copy of WIn 7 the only one having problems on this system?? It works without problems on another OLDER system, so far without ANY problems.
BECASUE it is an unfisihsed product. I am posting to say THIS PRODUCT NEEDS WORK. It works preety good, but it needs work.

There is no way to repair in place an install, something that did exsist in XP. This product is acting like Vista, as it is difficult to repair.

These msgs started 2 wks after I installed. Windows was activated. MS saysthat they RC will die in 2010, and to avoid it dying, you must purchase a lisence.( How can you purchase a lisence for a product not yet released??? Windows RC is now telling me that it isn't activated, and is NOT doing updates. Why is my copy of WIn 7 the only one having problems on this system?? It works without problems on another OLDER system, so far without ANY problems.
BECASUE it is an unfisihsed product. I am posting to say THIS PRODUCT NEEDS WORK. It works preety good, but it needs work.

There is no way to repair in place an install, something that did exsist in XP. This product is acting like Vista, as it is difficult to repair.

Have you tried putting in another key and activating again?

If your copy is the only one having these types of problems as you so bluntly put it, than it certainly doesn't mean Windows 7 needs work, it means you need to find the cause of the problem and solve it... ;) I'd suggest a format followed by a clean install for starters, if your having that much trouble.. ;)

Yes, Windows 7 RC is an unfinished product.. Microsoft clearly states that on the download page.. That is something you must take into consideration before you download and install BETA/RC software.. A stubborn acting up system is a risk you take when testing BETA/RC software.. and that goes for ANY OS.. NOT just Windows.. ;)

When Vista first came out, I had problems, all most all minor, which MS said the ONLY way to fix was to re-format and re-install in order to fix. This way thereleased version. Didn't seem to matter, the mantra they gave to me was re format and reinstall.
This was like having a flat tire on the new car, and the company telling you the ONLY way to fix the problem was the flat was to tear the car down and rebuild it from scratch.
Now there ARE times I'm sure where something so extreme has to be done to fix a problem; but guys, a flat tire????

Everytime I run into a problem, the mantra from you so-called MS experts is re-format and re-install. I getting pretty sick of it. I've repaired computers for 20 yrs, and I've repaired systems the MSCT techs said were beyond hope, and the ONLY fix was re-format and re-install.

Bad icons? re-format and re-install!!
Sound not working? re-format and re-install!
Video messing up? re-format and re-install!
Mysterios freezes? re-format and re-install!
Computer re-booting on it's own? re-format and re-install!
Can't connect to the internet? re-format and re-install!
Updates not working? re-format and re-install!

How many thousands of dollars and hours did you guys spend to learn that mantra???

I guess it's a lot cheaper for MS to tell people that rather then fix the code.

And I'm ONLY Complaining about this because it needs to get fixed BEFORE RTM. OR at least looked at. I'm not using this as is not my regular: I'm TESTING it trying to get it fixed!!!

At this jucture MY mantra to you guys is

GO RE-FORMAT YOURSELFS

I can certainly understand your frustration but...

Alot of the problems you say your having are NOT because of Windows 7.. they are because of driver issues or software incompatibility, these are both things that are already being fixed as demonstrated by the most recent builds.... ;)

I don't know what your talking about with the whole "Format and Reinstall" thing.. If you just look around this forum you'll see hundreds of solutions that were fixed without formatting and reinstalling.. ;)

Not every single problem a person has with an OS is a result of the OS directly.. there is such a thing as BROKEN USER too.. :)

Sigh, some of you guys are like the doctor who points to the THOUSAND of patients who recoveredunder their care, and based on that keeps telling the patient in front of them everything is all right right, there fine, nothing to worry about, up to the time the patient dies, all while the patient keeps telling the doctor there is something wrong.

Based on what I see right now, I will not buy or recomend this product until SP1. I have it isntalled on 2 different Big name units less then 3 yrs old. I have reformated and reinstall 3 times on one unit. The other unit is golden. That is a 50% failure rate. The only way to insure the product will work on a particular unit is to try before buying; not much chance of that happening with M$. I read the forums, this one and several others EVERY DAY, several times a day, and while there are many examples of people NOT having to format and reinstall, I estimate that 20-25% of problems end up at FORMAT and reinstall. This tells me that the product is not ready. Too many people having to do this tells me that. Yes it is a beta. It is NOT RTM. It's purpose is to preview and identify problems. If your not having issues, GREAT!! It is a testement to how well MS has gotten the product. Let's say it's 90% there ,for the sake of aurgument.
Next time you cross the street, just go 90% of the way; Let's see what happens.

Your right! There are broken people. They just don't listen.

Radenight: You go too far for these guys. You help them too much. I'm sure they could figure it out like real men do.

listen the aboe was not written to diss ANYBODY. If you look thru the forums you realize that Radnight is a rock star when it comes to help people with excellent advice. But even a rock star hits a bad note oo two. One of them appears to me that he is not hearing me.

The fact is WIN 7 is not working as wellfor me as other people. It's great that it is. Shows MS has really put some effort in to it.
But if it fails on 50% of my machines.....it gives me pause. I've reinstalled it 4 times now on this machine 3 of those times it had issues, the 4 I've really not gotten to use.

I don't expect the experience to be flaw less; IT"S A BETA. It's purpose is to expose problems BEFORE it becomes RTM. Based on what I see, it has problems. Based on what I read in the forums (several of them) I am not the only one. Some of that is to be expected; unknowledgeable users, drivers, bad install disks, etc. But some of them, are real OS problems that need to be looked at.

I am now officially shutting up. I'll read the forums, but no longer comment on anything. Nobody wants to hear me diss the product. OK. Let's see what happens when it get's released. Maybe I am over a bad magnetic spot. Maybe your all living in never never land. Maybe I have to much time on my hands. Maybe your all arrogant B*******.

gjbnh - I slam Windoze too. I've had my share of trouble getting several networks to stay up on 7. Ive also had trouble on my Linux machines...so no OS is perfect. The point and click genXer's are spoiled. So 'dis' away man...I'll listen.

Back