Windows 7 No wi-fi

alfrae

The wi-fi button on the left, lower screen is not working. Probably the driver is missing or corrupted. How do I correct this problem?

Hi, I wonder if I could help, by asking for a bit more detail, such as OS,hardware,and which drivers could be involved. Please forgive me for asking, but what is the wi-fi button on the left,lower screen?

Last edited:
I believe Alfrae actually meant to say the lower right, meaning the wifi icon in the System Tray. Is that correct, Alfrae?

Alfrae - When you say it is not working, what do you mean by that? Do you see the icon in the System Tray? What happens when you click on it, does it display available networks but won't connect to any?

As pi314 said, we need additional information to be able to help you.

Have you checked the Device Manager? It tends to give a sign if something isn't working. Right clicking gives options.

Another thing is, right click the button, open the program and look what it's eaten.

I believe Alfrae actually meant to say the lower right, meaning the wifi icon in the System Tray. Is that correct, Alfrae?

Alfrae - When you say it is not working, what do you mean by that? Do you see the icon in the System Tray? What happens when you click on it, does it display available networks but won't connect to any?

As pi314 said, we need additional information to be able to help you.

When I click on the icon it will say "Open network and sharing center" When I open that and click on "Connect to new network" nothing happens. Could it be that a driver is missing?

Have you checked the Device Manager? It tends to give a sign if something isn't working. Right clicking gives options.

Another thing is, right click the button, open the program and look what it's eaten.

Could you be more specific as to what I should do after I open the Device Manager. Right click on what? What should I look for? I suspect that a driver is missing or corrupted

Providing some actual information with respect to your issue might provide more in the way of an actual solution.
First we need to know what we are dealing with? Is this a computer with an integrated WiFi adapter?
If so, then a manufacturer's name, model number, model name, etc.,(of the computer) might help.
Is this an add-on wifi card or external USB wifi adapter?
If so, then again..... a manufacturer's name, model name, model number, Rev. Number, etc. (of the device itself) might be helpful.
If you have none of that information then it is difficult to help resolve such issues.
As a last resort open device manager
expand network adapters
Now assuming that your wifi adapter is listed there, rather than under "other devices" (as a problem device).
Right click it and choose properties
Select the Details tab
Use the drop down arrow to change Device description to Hardware Ids
Right click the contents of the "Value" box and choose select all
Then right click again and choose "copy"
Paste that information into your next post or into a text file and attach it to your next post.
Should look something like this
USB\VID_0846&PID_9011&REV_0001
USB\VID_0846&PID_9011
But not necessarily the same

Providing some actual information with respect to your issue might provide more in the way of an actual solution.
First we need to know what we are dealing with? Is this a computer with an integrated WiFi adapter?
If so, then a manufacturer's name, model number, model name, etc.,(of the computer) might help.
Is this an add-on wifi card or external USB wifi adapter?
If so, then again..... a manufacturer's name, model name, model number, Rev. Number, etc. (of the device itself) might be helpful.
If you have none of that information then it is difficult to help resolve such issues.
As a last resort open device manager
expand network adapters
Now assuming that your wifi adapter is listed there, rather than under "other devices" (as a problem device).
Right click it and choose properties
Select the Details tab
Use the drop down arrow to change Device description to Hardware Ids
Right click the contents of the "Value" box and choose select all
Then right click again and choose "copy"
Paste that information into your next post or into a text file and attach it to your next post.
Should look something like this

But not necessarily the same

I have a Pavilion g7-2017 HP notebook with Win7. Originally wi-fi was working. I had a sticky letter ans send it to Staples to fix and hthey wiped out everything and reinstalled windows. When I got it back that was all there was on the hard drive. At that time I did not use wi-fi. Now I want to use it and when I click on the icon it reads " Open network and sharing center" but it is a dead end. Your instructions do not mesh with what I have . I made a screen shot but it does not copy. Click on network adapter and it shows "Broadcom 802.11n Network adapter" and Realtec PCle FE family"
Right click on Broadcom and it shows "Update driver software" Disable" Uninstall "Scan for hardware changes" Properties"

Does that help?

I have a Pavilion g7-2017 HP notebook with Win7. Originally wi-fi was working. I had a sticky letter ans send it to Staples to fix and hthey wiped out everything and reinstalled windows. When I got it back that was all there was on the hard drive. At that time I did not use wi-fi. Now I want to use it and when I click on the icon it reads " Open network and sharing center" but it is a dead end. Your instructions do not mesh with what I have . I made a screen shot but it does not copy. Click on network adapter and it shows "Broadcom 802.11n Network adapter" and Realtec PCle FE family"
Right click on Broadcom and it shows "Update driver software" Disable" Uninstall "Scan for hardware changes" Properties"

Does that help?

Untitled.jpg

According to the manual for your laptop I found on-line, there is a key along the top of the keyboard that is used to turn the wifi on/off. There's also a light indicator on the keyboard that is white if the wifi or Bluetooth are turned on or amber if they are off.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03234929.pdf
Thanks. Never knew there was a manual. I see the amber light but how do I turn on wi-fi. Suspect a driver is missing

There's a key in the top row of the keyboard, it should show an icon looking like an antenna with emanating signals, may also show as F12. Press that key to see if it will turn the wifi on.

There's a key in the top row of the keyboard, it should show an icon looking like an antenna with emanating signals, may also show as F12. Press that key to see if it will turn the wifi on.

You are a genius. A simple tap and I have wi-fi. Many times the simplest solution is the one that works. Thanks a lot
Al

Back
Top Bottom