Windows 7 Noob Question

sparker781

Well I am glad that I found this board. Here is my dilemma. I installed VM ware and installed Windows 7 and all was well...I figured I would install this as my OS. I realize that its in beta however after the install which by the way I tried as a dual boot with my XP install....I rebooted the computer and I got nothing but a black screen with a little color at the very top of the screen.

Again...It worked fine under VM ware and not sure what happened. Anyone have any suggestion as to what to try short of performing a fresh install?

Thanks

Could be a hardware conflict or an install error. I'd try booting off your Windows 7 disk and attempting a startup repair. If that didn't work, I'd try formatting the Windows 7 Partition and reinstalling.

Give that a go, and let us know how you fare.

(PS; If it worked fine in VM, that just means the OS Boot disk isn't corrupted. It uses emulated hardware to run a VM, so it may still be a hardware incompatibility.)

Well.....

I did as you instructed and I have my space back on my HD however whenever I reboot my computer I am being booted to the OS selection screen. I have a choice of "Earlier Version Of Windows", "Windows 7", and Windows 7"

my boot.ini looks like this:

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

I am at a loss. Anyone have any suggestions?

The same thing with the boot screen happened to me when it restarted whsilt I was reinstalling windows 7. It goes back to just one windows 7 entry after the install has finished. I would try a reinstall because it shounds liek it has not installed properly.

Reinstall

I do not want to reinstall Windows 7 at all right now. I would prefer to go back to just having XP until I can get an external drive and back my data up on it. I would merely like to remove the options of trying to boot to 2 windows 7 os's from the os chooser.

Thanks

In the bios you could select boot from HDD-1 (which is supposedly your XP partition)
Then it automatically boots from that.

I'm not very experienced with this stuff but I think if you have two windows partitions and you have selected the windows xp one first in the boot order and dont have the windows 7 dvd in your drive it will start windows xp directly.

No....

That doesnt seem to be it. As I stated....I do not have my HD partitioned anymore. Yet somehow Windows 7 is listed in the OS chooser?

I dont get it

Boot your Windows XP Disk, enter the second recovery mode option you see, (I believe you have to press R, or something like that).
Type fixmbr
then when that's done, type fixboot
Restart.

Well

I managed to install something called Bootchooser. I went into this app and removed both Windows 7 entries from the OS Chooser. I am not sure if this fixed the issue but at least I can boot into XP.

Resolved

I fixed the issue. I installed an application called: Boot choOSer and removed the 2 windows 7 entries. I am now going to install Windows 7 on my hard drive....non dual boot of course.

Back