Windows 7 nos ound

daffodil6

I have win 7 64 bit and the sound stopped working. The device manager says the driver is up to date. It is a high definition audio driver and I have MSI K8NGM2 motherboard. There are no warnings on device drivers. When I click on sound in control panel, it shows 2 playback devices. One is speakers and it says high definition audio device not plugged in. This is not true. The speakers are plugged in. It also shows Digital Audio (S/PDIF) and says it is working properly. Bars show but I have no sound at all.
I have tried disabling and then enabling the device and I've rebooted. Nothing works.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the windows7forums.

System sound > Mixer > Click 'Device' (left top) > From the drop-down, select 'Speakers'

Also, in Realtek HD Manager > 'Speakers' tab > Click on 'Set this default audio device'

Re: no sound

Where is system sound and Realtek HD manager? I can get to sound through control panel but there's no tab for mixer and no drop down. Don't know where Realtek HD Manager is.

1. System sound mixer

click on the sound icon in in the icon tray area:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

(picture source : Link Removed due to 404 Error)

mixer --> click on 'Device' --> drop-down -> speakers

2. Realtek hd audio manager

Control Panel or Realtek tray icon:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

(picture source: sevenforums)

Speakers tab --> Set default device

great descriptions - thanks. there's no dropdown for speakers when I click on device and everything on the other tabs says the device is working. I don't have anything for realtek in control panel, tray, or programs.

great descriptions - thanks. there's no dropdown for speakers when I click on device and everything on the other tabs says the device is working. I don't have anything for realtek in control panel, tray, or programs.

Mixer, top left - there are 2 words 'Device', so click on the topmost one.

Realtek - I understand your sb is 8 channel HD audio codec RealTek ALC880. Do you have the driver installed?

I ran belarc and the only sound listed is under mulimedia devices and it says high definition audio driver. There's no mention of Realtec. Driver is up to date

Back