Windows 7 NOT RESPONDING!

klingcam

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere regarding my issue, but the issue is too general for me to fine-tune my search and find it. So, for that, my apologies.

My issue is this: 2 year old build been working just fine. Suddenly now I'm getting many programs "Not Responding", screen goes pale. MS Word, Firefox, Excel, etc. Seems to be across the board. Usually if I wait long enough the program will resume. Never had this error before. On some boots, I'm getting messages that my C: drive must be checked for inconsistencies. It has found some errors that it says are now fixed, but the problems continue. On one chkdsk/f, it took over 3 hours to perform and there were a multitude of errors. Again, supposedly now fixed. Boot times seem long. Random incomplete boots and then no display, where it takes 2 "reset" button pushes to boot normally. My question is whether this is a Windows-based problem, or is it my HDD going bad? Not sure. Maybe neither. Maybe both. Any light that can be shed would be appreciated. In the interim, I ordered a Samsung 830 series SSD to replace the WD 1 TB Caviar Black. I still have 853 GB free. Also, any info on how to do a seamless trxfer/transition to the new drive is also appreciated. This forum rocks!

Win7 Professional
HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black
Intel i7-920 CPU
RAM: 6 GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 XMS3
PSU: Corsair TX 850W
Cooling: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50
Mobo: Gibabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
GPU: XFX HD585XZAFC Radeon HD 5850

It sounds like a drive problem WD has Digital Life Guard GLG WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Black run that in extended test. You can also use it to reformat the drive to write zeros to it, sometimes this fixes bad sectors. You could also try something like SpeedFan and look at the smart data and see what it shows.
Joe

It sounds like a drive problem WD has Digital Life Guard GLG WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Black run that in extended test. You can also use it to reformat the drive to write zeros to it, sometimes this fixes bad sectors. You could also try something like SpeedFan and look at the smart data and see what it shows.
Joe
Thanks for the suggestion Joe. I dloaded and ran the WD Diagnostic. It ran over 3 hours, and when done, said there was an error (#8) while diagnosing. Guess it's time to talk to WD.

Back