Windows 7 NTFS Errors

jyeagley3

Extraordinary Member
Hello, I'm new here and glad to be here. I have a Dell Studio XPX8000 with a WD 640GB Hard Drive. About a month ago I started noticing, in Event Viewer, the following message:
"The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS."
It is event ID 55. It says, in the last 7 days I have had another 110 of these. Now back about a month ago I reported this to dell and told them after running chkdsk utility many times the error still existed. They told me to run a procedure from boot up. I forget how I got there but I ran some tests. The first one, confidence test, had a result: No problems found. Do you want to continue w/rest of the Confidense Test - about 91 minutes, and I proceeded. Over the next 2 hours or so I got the following messages:
No additional sense information
Test Results: Fail
Error Code OFOO:1344 Msg Disk block 727663631: can't read-replace disk.
Error Code OFOO:1344 Msg Disk block 754830164: can't read-replace disk.
Error Code OFOO:1344 Msg Disk block 860399191: can't read-replace disk.
Error Code OFOO:1344 Msg Disk block 727663631: can't read-replace disk.

At this point I stopped running the tests and called Dell. The sent a guy with a new WD Hard Drive 2 days later. Now I'm into the new hard drive and I'm still getting the messages in Event Viewer about the NTFS
Now the replacement Hard Drive is giving the same NTFS Error Messages. What are the chances of 2 Western Digital Hard Drives with the same problem(s), winding up in my Dell PC. I didn't run any of the previously talked about tests because, as I said, I forget how I got to the screen to run them, and also they are soooo time consuming.
I've only upgraded from Vista to WIN 7 Home Premium recently and didn't notice the messages before the upgrade. After the Hard Drive replacement and all that goes with that, I downloaded the Upgrade for WIN 7 again and installed it. Is there any possibility that there is something going on with WIN 7?

Thanks for any and all help! I'm sorta lost
Jerry

Last edited:
Hello !!

You might NTFS Errors if there is a corruption in the OS. Also a bad cable also can cause it. So go to WD Website there you'll get HD Diagnostic Tools run a test it might be more specific on the problem. Here is the Link WD Support > Downloads > SATA & SAS

Hope this helps,
Captain

I would call Dell again and let them know. There is a chance you have a bad controller on the motherboard.

Hello !!

You might NTFS Errors if there is a corruption in the OS. Also a bad cable also can cause it. So go to WD Website there you'll get HD Diagnostic Tools run a test it might be more specific on the problem. Here is the Link WD Support > Downloads > SATA & SAS

Hope this helps,
Captain

I figured out how to get to the Utility where I ran the tests before, by pressing F12 at the Dell Logo. Here's what I did:
Ran the Drive Self-Test Short Test on the Hard Disk and initially got one of the same errors I got with the other Hard Drive:
"Drive Self-Test Short - Failed"
"Error Code 0F00:065D"
Msg: Disk self-test Read Error"

So I went to the confidence test forthe hard disk. As you probably know this reads at the beginning, end, and then samples in the middle of the hard disk.
I got the exact same message I got with the first hard drive:
No problems found. Do you want to continue w/rest of the Confidence Test - about 91 minutes, and I proceeded
Seeing that the first Block taht was found before was 727663631 I didn't leave the rest of the confidence test run. I aborted it. I guess I'll run it tonight later on when I don't need the computer.
What I did do was run the checks on ALL of the rest of the hardware, Processor, System Board, System Management, and 8 more and there were NO errors found. Just the one with the Self Test-Short at the beginning of this reply.
IF there is a problem, other than the Hard Drive, do you think it will show up in the same "Blocks" as it did in the first Hard Drive?

(I did go to the WD Website and got mostly confused)
Well, if there's any more you can suggest for me I'll certainly appreciate it.
Jerry

Hello !!

Check this article How to Run the Hard Drive Disk Self Test (DST) on a Dell

Hope this helps,
Captain

Well, it seems no matter what I do I'm just up against it. I tried the Dell DST Tool from the Dell Splash Screen 4 times and it just plain does not work. I did this AFTER updating the BIOS (which was already the latest)
On Dells Site it says you can run it from the Resource Disk but from the way the instructions read they want you to reinstall all the Drivers, reboot, and then run the test. My PC shipped to me with Vista Home Premium and I upgraded to WIN Home Premium 64 bit, and the last thing I want to do is go back to Vista Drivers.
Don't you think the way I ran the test is giving me a legitimate result? It appears to be the same test.
Well, I'd go back to plan B but I don't have one!
Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Jerry

Jerry,

Seems like something wrong with maybe the cable or the port itself because I can't think any other reason why you got the same result with new and old Hard Drive. If your PC is still under warranty claim it. If not download Ultimate Boot CD - Overview it will run a Diagnostic on Computer. Worth a try .. I'm sorry :(

Hope this helps,
Captain

Like someone stated above, it's possibly the motherboard. Now if they change MB and it still happens, then just get another system. Run a diagnostics on the MB and see what happens. Also, try updating the hard drive's firmware.
Click the Start button and all programs and go to Accessories and find Command Prompt. Right click on it and run as Administrator.
Type chkdsk /r. This process can take 1 to 2 hours.
To see what other options you have, just type chkdsk /?.
See if this helps.
If errors are reported, it's possible they sent you a refurbished hard drive. Get another replacement.

Back
Top Bottom