Windows Vista ntldr missing

jsup233

Can someone help me with this, it keeps coming up when I turn on the computer and then I have to hit control, alt delete

When you hit ctrl+alt+del and the computer restarts - does it boot up successfully? Do you have any floppy's in the floppy drive or CD's in the CD/DVD drives, or any usb devices with flash storage plugged into the computer? If so - remove them all (USB Flash Drives, camera's, floppy disk's in floppy drive, CD's etc.) and try booting again.

Can someone help me with this, it keeps coming up when I turn on the computer and then I have to hit control, alt delete

Try booting from the vista disk and then choosing 'Repair'

Hi jsup,

Not much info. there.

What happens when you ctrl+alt+del - can you boot into Vista/7.

I assume you have either of those installed.

Do you still, or did you have XP before?

I see rlager asked you a question 3 hours ago - you haven't replied, so I assume you are not interested.

Last edited:
Could you outline what Os you have on your computer? Your problem is normally associated with a Windows 7 or Vista installation with XP.
You apparently have XP set as you default OS in the boot. The link given will help you to boot into Vista (or 7) but will not assist in regaining XP, if that is what you wish?

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm having issues with my OS's as well. My setup is a bit dizzying but I hope you can help.

Hard disk 1 (MBR on this one) contains:
Vista 64
W7 64

Hard disk 2 (an SSD drive) contains:
W7 64
Ubuntu

This also happens to be the order I installed them in. I used the default bootloader given by Windows 7 to continue adding to the bootloader.

My problem arose when I switched the primary boot disk to my SSD and now the BIOS shuts down my SSD. I'm assuming this is because it thinks (from the bootloader) that these partitions no longer work correctly.

Can someone explain how I would use NeoSmart's EasyBCD to fix this issue?

Many thanks!

~BluCreator

The Bios shuts down your SSD?

Can you post a screenshot of the Disk Management window?

Disk Management image

The Bios shuts down your SSD?

Can you post a screenshot of the Disk Management window?

Hey here's my Disk management window.

Originally my Disk management pane showed 3 drives. My Harddrive 320 gb. SSD 60GB and CDROM drive.

Hope that is helpful, and thanks for you reply.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Very strange - it isn't showing at all.

Check it is plugged into the mobo securely.

Go into Bios and make sure it is enabled . You may have accidentally changed something .

Looks like it has been physically disconnected or turned off in Bios.

Nothing to do with the windows boot up sequence or bcd .

Last edited:
Hey here's some more info about it,

I know it's plugged in properly but I'm not sure how to 'enable' my SSD because I didn't know of any such function. And Yeah, the change that I did to inadvertently 'kill' my SSD (figuratively) was to switch the boot order of the two drives (my hard drive and SSD).

However:

I know that my SSD still works because I can use it on my desktop. And (as of today) I decided to just take my hard drive out of the laptop and then create an installation of windows 7 separately on the SSD so that a bootloader would be created on the SSD -- and thus making it a bootable drive. This has worked and given me access to my SSD once again.

The problem is, when I plug my hard drive in again, no matter the boot order (even though both are considered bootable) the BIOS once again shuts down my SSD.

Since you mention that this probably has 'nothing to do with the windows boot up sequence or bcd', is there anything you suspect that could be thwarting my SSD in combination with my Hard drive? One more thing, I also updated my BIOS so hopefully that has cleared its memory (if it had any) of my SSD failing, not sure it did though.

I told you it was a little boggling! I hope you're still with me haha. Thanks very much man.

PS I'm also sorry I couldn't get back to you until now, the site was down for a good portion of the morning I think. (Windows 7 release date anyone? xD)

Back
Top Bottom