Windows Vista OEM/build

Jimbo22

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
I finally did it. I finally got all my parts in and put this bad boy together. After stripping out OEM PC of usable hardware and adding it to the new case, mobo, CPU, CPU cooler and some accessories. I'm finally up and running after a little over three months. A few minor issue's but those have been solved. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Woot! That's great news bassfisher.. :) I can't wait to see the photo's..

Woot! That's great news bassfisher.. :) I can't wait to see the photo's..

Dude; It's great to be back on here and most importantly I have my PC back....it really sucked using the kids old Dell 2400 single core next to nothing cpu.....I could go on but I'm on cloud nine with my new PC. The worst part is now that I have finished this, I mean with in hours of completing my build I came down with this severe cold. I think the pictures may have to wait a couple more days..

No problem.. Get well soon man and post the piccies when your ready..

I'm better now but still haven't taken in pics yet. This weekend hopefully.

I do have some what of an issue. I have noticed since this build that my start up takes longer than it did before. I mean, before the crash I could turn on PC and it would boot up then once it got to the desktop all my notification icons would pop up and I had access of computer (I could use it immediately). Now the icons in the notification area take quite awhile to load up and I can still use computer but it's real slow, thats until every thing is loaded. Once it's all loaded I'm just as fast if not just a little faster on speed over all. Is there a tweak for this that I missed in the initial setup. It's not bothersome just annoying.

Suggestions

If you can been running this awhile, and you have Superfetch enabled, I'd say it's not going to adjust.
(Sometimes it needs to index HD etc.)

You might want to look for a data transfer problem:

Three causes--

1/ Hard Drive about to die

2/ IDE Hard Drive with Damaged Cables. Just a kink can kill transfer speeds.

3/ Controller Drivers for Hard Drive not working. Look in Device Manager and see if they are working and if there are updates.

Also: I came across this: Link Removed - Invalid URL

I haven't checked this free-bee software out and don't know whether it is safe for you to use)

P.S.- load only essential programs at start up.

Last edited:
I'm better now but still haven't taken in pics yet. This weekend hopefully.

I do have some what of an issue. I have noticed since this build that my start up takes longer than it did before. I mean, before the crash I could turn on PC and it would boot up then once it got to the desktop all my notification icons would pop up and I had access of computer (I could use it immediately). Now the icons in the notification area take quite awhile to load up and I can still use computer but it's real slow, thats until every thing is loaded. Once it's all loaded I'm just as fast if not just a little faster on speed over all. Is there a tweak for this that I missed in the initial setup. It's not bothersome just annoying.

Under Control Panel go to the Search Index and completely rebuild the index under Advanced options. It is one of the number one causes of extremely slow boot times if the index becomes corrupted.

As well as the above bassfisher try typing 'msconfig' in the run box and then hit enter. Now click on the 'startup' tab.
You'll now see a list of apps which start up when windows starts. Usually there's always one or two things not needed so can be unticked. This can vastly improve boot times..

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Well apparently it was with my nvidia chipset because there was an optional update for it. I accepted it and now my boot time is almost as it was before....I'm much happier.

Oh ok.. Thats works too I guess.. :) Glad you got it sorted..

Dude I just finished the jump to 7 on my new build. 3 hours later but holy crap batman...freaking worth the time. I'm flying now.

Sorely Tempted

You guys are tempting me to try one computer on 7. I'm not going to be happy without the best edition and I don't want to spend the money right now..

Such a shame you didn't try it when the RC was around Celestra..

It is good though..... :)

Problem with wireless

Such a shame you didn't try it when the RC was around Celestra..

It is good though..... :)

I've heard HP motherboard & chips aren't as good as they should be.... Tech net gossip. Cheap made, same with Gateway.

I took the wife's laptop and upgraded it to 7 before my build and new OS. Hers is an HP laptop and there are no side effects to report and that's been 2 months. Now I don't know if laptop vs desktop chip sets and mobo makes any difference other than size and shape but they should function the same. Other than firmware of each particular mobo and chip set.

Back
Top Bottom