Windows 8 oice

Peterr

Fantastic Member
I had 5 files =oice in %temp% which would never go away as all files eventually do.
There are other files seen on the attachment. I used uncover to remove the oice files but am unsure if I should remove these in the attachment.
I ran DISM and finally reported no corruption.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    70 KB · Views: 424
All files in temp directory along with other "junk" will be cleaned automatically if you run Ccleaner, the long established, free and reliable junk file cleaning utility.

I have used Ccleaner several times and may need some direction.
I never use the cleaner as IMO the cleaner really does more harm than good unless you are an expert and can remove just what you want and not remove necessary files - if we agree then perhaps you could help.
I think only pros should use the cleaner itself.
There is a Windows tab, I believe. Is that what you are referring to?
If so, could I uncheck all except any temp boxes to be safe?

By the same token, 'Uncover' will remove all files I ask it to but the question is in my first post, should these files be removed?
The last time I removed them all, sfc showed corruption so I performed a recovery of the system.
Using DISM I have repaired corruption and the oice files are gone using uncover except for these smaller odd files.
Thank you for your reply

should these files be removed?

They are not Windows files so yes... the msdadmin folder is strange, have you got some kind of CentOS running?

Windows 8 only has one app (I know of) that puts stuff in the temp folder and thats the Microsoft store... this file should not be removed because it can cause an issue with the store kicking you out.

Most the time the legit files in temp are 3rd party software; firewalls, anti-virus, Adobe etc in sort any software that syncs to the internet will tend to dump files here and thats fine because its the way Windows was designed to work... all of these files can be removed without issue if the software isn't running at the time you try to remove them... thats also why most cleanup software likes to run their scans at boot time.

If you ever have temp files that you can't delete, you can download procexp from the sysinternals suite and search for a handle to the files in question and even delete the handles and then the files if needed.

1- I am low level skilled so I need to ask a little. My wife and I use the same pcs I am the admin according to Windows.
We run Win 8.1 Pro 64 byte.
I just had an important thought -my pc just gave me a choice of switch user, shut off etc. and I do not which I am or should be as far as user goes. Maybe I am in the wrong user . I clicked switch user but %temp% still showed those files which remain.
Could you tell me what CentOS is so I can answer? Is it Century Operating system?
I do not know what the store files look like - my #1 post shows what is left that will not respond to the regular %temp %, however, I can remove them with "Uncover" if advisable. At least SFC is ok now but I have not removed those files in post #1 yet.

2- I'm sorry but I do not understand handles and procexp [download procexp from the sysinternals suite and search for a handle]

3- I thank you both for your help and am still undecided about my next step because I am in over my head a bit.
I would like to remove them and still run sfc with good results. I have Uncover to do it unless your way is better and I should remove the files.
4- I have Defender, MBAM, Win firewall, and am behind a router from my isp Comcast WPA 2 etc..

Last edited:
Thank you for Centos and the store.
I use Macrium but with my last 4 images I forgot to look at those temp files which existed even then so they could not help.
I still have to decide whether or not to remove those pesty residual files in the temp folder.
I think last time I did that, I could not run sfc successfully but it could have been any number of things.
Thanks a lot for your replies.
PS I had Acronis till 2010 when it required a repurchase so use Mac....

As usual when I find a resolution post it. I used the path and users to find that Google was running and preventing the %temp%. It is now functioning as I have stopped all Google tasks in task manager.

Back