Only 4GB of 8GB available

Hi,

I just did a reformat of my machine with new hardware. I upgraded the memory to 8gb. Im using 64bit windows ultimate and for some reason 4 of the 8gb are showing up in system resources as 'hardware reserved'. Any ideas why?

thank you.

Last edited:

nehoma

Honorable Member
Try this: click "start" type into search "msconfig" the file will appear in the search results. Click on "msconfig.exe" when it opens click on "boot/advanced options" uncheck any tick in maximum memory and number of processors. click ok and them apply and ok again and see if that does the trick

First, make sure all the memory is seen by the bios when powering on the machine. If it is, go in the bios and enable memory remapping. Save.

I went into msconfig but no ticks were checked, it didn't appear the memory was being limited there.

I peeked into the bios but i didn't see any listing for memory or remapping, which is perhaps because I wasn't sure where to look.

Thank you both.

*update* in my Bios it shows i only have 4GB. I have searched the entire bios and i can not find a re-mapping option for the memory.

Last edited:
OK, solved it. This sounds stupid... but one stick of the memory (4gb) wasn't plugged in all the way. Thanks for you help though. :)

OK, solved it. This sounds stupid... but one stick of the memory (4gb) wasn't plugged in all the way. Thanks for you help though. :)
You're welcome. You say "though" as if it is a side thought. "First, make sure all the memory is seen by the bios" - that phrase was intended by me to get you to make sure the memory modules were plugged in all the way. ;)

LOl ah i see. :D

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.