Windows Vista opening gifs

clydefrog

i have a number of GIF images on my computer. for some reason they open in Internet Explorer rather than Windows Photo Viewer like other image extensions do. Can anyone tell me how to view GIFs in Windows Photo Viewer? Cause I can't seem to find it when i go to Open With.

Thanks in advance.

From here,
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs
Select Windows Photo Viewer from the left column and then choose one of the options at the bottom. See attachment.

i'm not able to check \ uncheck the check boxes on the left. and .gif isn't listed when i go to Internet Explorer for default programs. :(

ss.png

From here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations (Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program)
Scroll down to .gif and select it, click the change program button in the top right, click "More Options" go down and select Windows Photo Viewer. See attachments.

Hi

You should be able to change the default image viewer by right clicking on any .gif file and selecting Properties, you will see an option to change the default program for opening the files.

Mike

awesome awesome, i got it to open with Windows Photo Viewers. but now we're onto another problem. Whenever I do open it with Windows Photo Viewer, the GIF is no longer animated, it's just a frozen image of the first millisecond of the GIF's animation.

any thoughts?

Hi

I didn't know you were talking about .Gif animations, I don't think that Photo Viewer will play animations.

Set them to open with Windows Media Player, I just downloaded an Animated Gif and tried it and it plays them fine.
So does Apple Quick Time.

Mike

yeah i just did a google search, turns out they took it out from Vista and 7 when creating Windows 7. So disappointing. Thanks for the insightful and helpful support guys! 'Prec it!

Back
Top Bottom