Windows 7 OpenVPN GUI

marxin

Hello, I wanna to reinstall my computer to Windows 7 Beta, but I am not sure, that OpenVPN GUI is working under new Windows Seven. Please does anyone has experiences with installing VPN on WinSeven ?

Thanks, marxin

I have tried to get OpenVPN working on Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 but have been unable to do so.

You can install the program if you run in Vista compatibility mode, after that I was successfully able to connect the VPN but not access any of its resources.

Sry for not mentioning before but the RC15 was the version of the software I tested.

A bit of information about the OpenVPN connection:

• Connects directly to a Ubuntu Linux Server to access Web/Samba (network share) services
  • Works using OpenVPN under an Ubuntu client
Have just tested (still does not work):

• Disabling Windows Firewall (only Firewall software running on the machine)
  • Running the OpenVPN GUI under Vista Compatibility Mode
The Network Adaptor under the network and sharing center has the following IP Configuration even though the OpenVPN display a given IP of 10.8.0.6 (configured by the other end).

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b509:e0c5:254d:713d%17
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.113.61
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

After checking through the logs there was an 'Access Denied' line there which make me thing of trying it in Administrative Mode, problem is now resolved.

To get OpenVPN working under Windows 7 you must set it to Vista Compatibility and Administrative Mode for both the installation and running of the OpenVPN GUI.

Last edited:
Hey budd ur just Repeatin what I already said to do ...HAHAHA...

Glad U got it Workin...lol

Yes, it can be used on Windows 7

The problem is :

The route ADD commands in open VPN gui doesn't get executed, even if you run open vpn GUI in administrator mode.

Solution:

1. Go to C:\Windows\System 32
2. Run cmd.exe in administrator mode (right click on it and select Run as Administrator)
3. Copy all the failed route ADD commands in open VPN gui and run it in this DOS window.

Code:
route ADD xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx MASK 255.255.255.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
4. It should show OK! for all the commands if successful.
5. Reconnect using open VPN gui, there would be no route ADD errors this time.

6. Connect to the machine you want using RDC / putty or any software you wish.

You are done. :)

Please note:

There would be more than one occurences of failed ROUTE ADD commands in open VPN gui.

You have to execute all of them at DOS prompt, in administrator mode.

TIPS:

Adding a -p switch to route ADD command will make it persist across reboots.
You don't have to do it again and again.

Also you may make a .bat file containing all the route ADD commands and execute it (if above method fails).

Can ping but cannot browse network resources

Windows 7 Ultimate beta 1, build 7100
OpenVPN GUI 2.1rc15, Vista build

Installed under 'run as administrator'
Set the program to 'run as administrator'
There are zero error messages in the openVPN gui logs.
All of the routes get added.

From a command prompt 'run as administrator', nslookup gives me the DNS server in the office network. I can type in the name of our file server at the little nslookup prompt, and it gives me the correct IP address of that server. I can ping that server by either the IP address or the hostname, and it responds to the ping.

When I open up a Windows Explorer window and type \\ip.address\ or \\hostname.int.domain.com\ I get an error that "Windows cannot access \\ip.address\".

I have my laptop sitting right next to me. It is running XP Pro and the XP Pro version of Open VPN GUI. It generates the exact same set of routes. And I can use the Windows explorer and type in either \\ip.address\ or \\hostname.int.domain.com\ to browse that file server.

I'm going to post the same question to the good folks at OpenVPN. But I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same problems or had any ideas.

TIA

A solution

If you happen to run 64-bit Windows 7:
Compare \program files\openvpn\config and \program files (x86)\openvpn\config. I found that the content of one was different than the other, and the OpenVPN would not connect. After synchronizing the two subdirectories to be identical, Voila!
I did not have to open a firewall port, change the commands in the config file, or do anything else. I hope this helps anyone as exquisitely frustrated as I was.

Back