Optimum Online network in New York completely destroyed?

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
From the New York Times:

Following one of the most devastating storms in recent memory, work crews swept across the metropolitan region on Sunday to remove fallen trees from houses and roadways, and to restore power to several hundred thousand homes.
Multimedia

Slide Show
Storm Sweeps Through Metropolitan Region

15storm3_337-span-articleInline.jpg

James Estrin/The New York Times

Workers examined a downed tree in Scarsdale, N.Y., on Sunday. More Photos »

15storm2_337-395-articleInline.jpg

Craig Ruttle/Associated Press

Trucks drove through a flooded road in Greenburgh, N.Y., on Sunday. More Photos »

At least five people were killed when trees fell on them as they were walking or in cars. The storm was powered by hurricane force winds of more than 70 miles per hour that toppled thousands of trees sitting in soil already softened by the snow storms of last month. As much as four inches of rain tell in some places, and many streets were made impassable by fallen trees and live electric wires.
Anthony and Nancy Amoriello, of Scarsdale, N.Y., thought they had taken their share of damage when a large tree crushed their Subaru Forrester on Saturday afternoon. Then on Saturday evening they heard a thud. They ran to their living room to find five feet of tree limb piercing the ceiling.
“It reminds me of a large elephant trunk,” said Mrs. Amoriello, 71. “At least we can laugh about it.”
In the Midwood section of Brooklyn, a block of East 13th Street remained closed Sunday afternoon, as residents waited for the removal of a giant silver maple that had come down, crushing four cars. Cables littered the street.
Rudy and Danielle Gerestan, a married couple in their late 20s, awoke on Sunday morning to find an electrical pole suspended in a sling of tangling electrical wire in between their car and another. Their car was draped with wires, which they believed were live. They were scared to go near it, and the electrical company was nowhere in sight.
\"I’m just lucky it didn’t come down on the car,\" said Mr. Gerestan.
Local power companies said almost all of the failures were caused by fallen trees and tree limbs, making the job of removing the trees and restringing lines time consuming.
Con Edison reported that 167,000 customers in the city and Westchester county lost power at some point during the storm. By Sunday morning, 138,000 still had no power, with 72,000 of those in Westchester County, 32,000 on Staten Island, and a total of 34,000 in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx.
On Long Island, about 110,000 homes remained without power, about half of the total that had been without power as of Saturday night.
Kevin Law, president of the Long Island Power Authority, called the storm “the most significant weather event for L.I.P.A. in 20 years” and in “the top five or six weather events that have impacted Long Island in the last 40 years.
“The L.I.P.A. system is designed to handle 40-mile-per-hour. winds, and at its height the winds hit 75 miles per hour,” he said.
In New Jersey, about 148,000 homes had no electricity. Of those, more than 92,000 were in Bergen County.

From the Associated Press:

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — Strong winds and heavy rain pounded parts of the Northeast on Saturday, knocking out power to more than a half-million homes and businesses and stranding about 500 passengers on a New York-bound train for more than six hours.
The New Jersey Transit train became stuck on the tracks more than halfway through its trek from Trenton to New York City along the Northeast Corridor line, spokeswoman Penny Bassett Hackett said.
A diesel engine would pull the train to the Rahway station, where buses would meet the passengers and take them to Newark Penn Station, Hackett said. Passengers were stuck on the train for six to seven hours Saturday, spokesman Dan Stessel said.
It was the second time in two weeks that more than 500,000 homes and businesses in the Northeast were left in the dark after a powerful storm.
Outages stopped Amtrak service between Philadelphia and New York on Saturday, while gusting winds downed trees and power lines throughout New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. Service was restored on two of four tracks along Amtrak's Northeast Corridor by early Sunday, spokesman Cliff Cole said.
Lois Glassman, 62, of Manhattan boarded an Amtrak Acela train in Washington D.C. at around 4 p.m. Saturday. The train traveled seamlessly through Philadelphia but slowed outside a station in Edison, N.J., at about 6:30 p.m. Then the waiting began.
The conductor on the train kept the passengers updated, Glassman said, first blaming switching problem and later power issues. It wasn't until after 11 p.m. that the train began making its way toward New York, Glassman said.
\"I've had a weary day,\" Glassman said.
The storm pounded the New York City area and southern New Jersey with wind gusts of up to 70 mph recorded and widespread outages.

I've been on the phone with Optimum Online, which provides high speed cable Internet to the NY tri-state area. I've been on hold for over an hour. :confused: It looks like the infrastructure here is seriously damaged. This is following a phone-call from last night.

Back
Top Bottom