Windows 10 "optional Failures"

D Mahoney

Since July 29, 2015 Windows 10 Pro has attempted to download every day and it has failed along with two "optional" downloads for a NEC LCD Monitor and an Intel Management Interface that is also recorded as "optional".

In order to try and move this update along, I deleted the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and typed "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" into the command prompt. Win10 actually downloaded and then began installation (although I thought I would have control over when my computer would update to Windows 10 Pro). Part way through the installation process the "optional" updates seemed to become critical updates and again, those updates "failed". And the Windows 10 download appeared to vanish.

There are two apps that need to be uninstalled during the installation process: HP Protect Tools and Windows Live Essentials. There are no other exceptions according to the
Get Windows 10 desktop.

Is there a "fix" for this problem? I prefer not to force this too much and have nothing but problems with Windows 10 at a later date.

NOTE: This is an HP Desktop 64-bit using Windows 7 Professional

Thank you for your assistance.

Since July 29, 2015 Windows 10 Pro has attempted to download every day and it has failed along with two "optional" downloads for a NEC LCD Monitor and an Intel Management Interface that is also recorded as "optional".

In order to try and move this update along, I deleted the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and typed "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" into the command prompt. Win10 actually downloaded and then began installation (although I thought I would have control over when my computer would update to Windows 10 Pro). Part way through the installation process the "optional" updates seemed to become critical updates and again, those updates "failed". And the Windows 10 download appeared to vanish.

There are two apps that need to be uninstalled during the installation process: HP Protect Tools and Windows Live Essentials. There are no other exceptions according to the
Get Windows 10 desktop.

Is there a "fix" for this problem? I prefer not to force this too much and have nothing but problems with Windows 10 at a later date.

NOTE: This is an HP Desktop 64-bit using Windows 7 Professional

Thank you for your assistance.

You can use the media creation tool found on this support page to initiate the upgrade:
Windows 10

Update

I wanted to let members know that this issue resolved itself once I had read some articles and figured out that Windows 10 was scanning my computer daily to ascertain whether the upload and the existing elements of the PC matched and that all would go along properly.

The angst was caused by repeated "failed" attempts at downloading the new Win10. Rather than downloading from the Microsoft site I decided to just leave Windows 10 and my PC to work things out.

Amazingly, (or perhaps not) both the updated Windows 10 and my PC with Windows 7 Pro came to a meeting of the minds and everything is now scheduled for Monday morning after which time I shall experience the world of Windows 10. Who knew that patience might be a virtue? :stupid:

I thought perhaps this might assuage some concerns.

Back
Top Bottom