OS upgrade

I thinking about upgrading my current 32 bit Vista Home Premium to 64 bit Vista Ultimate. Is this possible to go form 32 to 64 bit.

I ran the MS Vista upgrade advisor and all passed. It doesnt tell me whether I can go form 32 bit to 64 bit. It just tells me my system will take the upgrade.

Celestra

Former Moderator

Usually it says something on the computer. I'm says AMD Turion 64 X2......Maybe something is on the bottom of your computer???

I know my cpu is an AMD Athlon 64 X 2 (dual core). Which can handle the 64 bit system. I was wanting to knwo if I can go from a 32 bit system and upgrade (upgrade or full version) to 64 bit system OS. Or am I stuck with just upgrading to Vista Ultimate 32 bit OS. Next question, what are the main benifits in going to a 64 bit over the 32 bit?

Celestra

Former Moderator
It is not allowed to upgrade Windows Vista directly from a 32 bit to a 64 bit. You are required to clean install along with all your applications. If you want to go from a 32 bit to a 64 bit, back up all your applications. It is recommended to use the Windows Easy Transfer method. Perform a custom installation of your 64 bit Vista O/S. Your Antivirus and some Hardware Drivers may not work. If you are using a 32 bit Printer, you may want to check with Windows Vista Compatibility Center. Advantages: You can run two different O/S comfortably. Expanded Office perhaps, or run a complex game.

(Pardon me, I didn't see your computer spec's)

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
I know my cpu is an AMD Athlon 64 X 2 (dual core). Which can handle the 64 bit system. I was wanting to knwo if I can go from a 32 bit system and upgrade (upgrade or full version) to 64 bit system OS. Or am I stuck with just upgrading to Vista Ultimate 32 bit OS. Next question, what are the main benifits in going to a 64 bit over the 32 bit?

As Celestra says you'll need to do a fresh install....
As for benefits..The major one is you can use more than 3GB of RAM.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.