Outlook 2010 - OST Error

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by KMINT, Sep 26, 2011.

1. KMINT

KMINT New Member

I am facing the above problem when I open Outlook

"Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can syncronize your folders with your offline folder file."

I have tried to remove the profile and re-create it. The check mark in the Security to Encrypt Microsoft Exchange is there.

The only resoltuion to it is to reinstall the whole Outlook which when I do, the issue is resolved however that is not the ultimate solution as i work in a Banking company and face this issue every now and then. Can anyone help me find the actual root cause of the issue.

Thank You.

2. Mark Kerry

Mark Kerry Member

3. Taylor Wallis

Taylor Wallis Well-Known Member

4. Taylor Wallis

Taylor Wallis Well-Known Member

You should try the Integrity check tool, also known as scanost.exe. It's a freeware utility provided by Microsoft. It can scan corrupt OST file and fix it. Refer to this blog post to know how to use scanost.exe - Use scanost.exe (Integrity Check tool) to Repair OST File

Remember there's no need to use to any commercialware tool. Hope scanost.exe works here.

Aidan012 likes this.
  5. Aidan012

Aidan012 New Member

If you want to restore OST files and don't want to spend money, you must try few add-on applications of Outlook client. You can use any of these features: Inbox Repair tool (ScanPST) or OST Integrity Checker (Scanost.exe). ScanPST and ScanOST utility provided by Microsoft and installed in mostly Microsoft Office version. First, Find out the OST file location

Windows 7 and Windows Vista: drive:\Usersuser\App\Data\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows XP: drive:\documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

ScanPst.exe to scan and repair only a corrupted Outlook Personal folders (PST) file or an Offline Outlook Folder (OST) file, not your mailbox on the server. The utility determines whether the file structure is unscathed. If it is not unscathed, the ScanPst.exe resets your file your file structure and rebuilds the headers. Find the scanpst.exe location according to your Outlook version and Windows version (32 or 64bit):

Outlook 2013 (32bit) & Windows (32bit): Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
    Outlook 2013 (32bit) & Windows (64bit): Drive:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
    Outlook 2013 (64bit) & Windows (64bit): Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15

Outlook 2010 (32bit) & Windows (32bit): Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
    Outlook 2010 (32bit) & Windows (64bit): Drive:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
    Outlook 2010 (64bit) & Windows (64bit): Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Outlook 2007 & Windows (32bit): Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
    Outlook 2007 & Windows (64bit): Drive:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

Outlook 2003 & Windows (32bit): Drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
    Outlook 2003 & Windows (64bit): Drive:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\

Read more : goo.gl/CcrIC0

And ScanOst.exe tool is used to diagnose and fix the issues related to synchronization of OST files. It diagnoses broken OST file and mailbox, compares and tries to recover the dissimilarity of synchronization. It doesn't alter the mailbox. To run the OST Integrity Checker tool, you must connect to your exchange account. OST Integrity Check tool (scanost.exe) Location:

In MS Office 2010/2007 - Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office_version

In MS Office 2000/2002/2003/XP - Drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPINT

Read more : goo.gl/ZWCJxK